Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

EVO Car of the year - 2015

pzero

The cars were put through their paces on the roads west and north of Inverness. Familiar territory to many on here I'm sure. Each car covered 750 miles.

1. Porsche Cayman GT4
2. McLaren 675LT
3. Porsche GT3 RS
4. Ferrari 488 GTB
5. Lamborghini Aventador SV
6. Lotus Evora 400
7. Cherolet Camaro Z/28
8. Seat Leon Cupra
9. Mercedes-AMG GT S
10. Honda Civic Type R
11. Peugot 208 GTI

Was a great article, and perhaps the newer specials with real downforce are getting a little too fast for the road. Wonder if the result would have been different if they had a track component?

Either way, it is good to see a back to basics approach prevail.

Paul :thumb:

I will have to get that Evo edition ordered for when im home next :) :) great cars , great roads..

This must be My local fun routes I am sure ...................the amount of proper drivers cars you meet on that road is astonishing ... fantastic roads

Im doing the North West 500 next time home ..

http://www.visitscotland.com/blog/scotland/north-coast-500/

Terry

A Cayman is better than a GT3?

I give up. I think its all a marketing ploy and people are getting paid.

Don't get me wrong, I know the GT4 is amazing and blah blah and all the other stuff (and quicker than my Carrera) but it isn't a 911. It is NOT a 911

I'll have to drive one next month if the weather holds up.

It's a well written article, and the rub of it is basically the GT3 RS is now too fast to be enjoyed on the roads, you just have to be giving it over 8/10th's to put a smile on your face, and on public roads that's just too much.

When the Franchitti brothers recon it's too much for the road, it's safe to say it's maybe a little too much.

Looking forward to reading it. My only gripe is that they are including cars that you cannot buy on the open market at manufacturers price.

Saw a video yesterday , never seen this you tube channel before

https://youtu.be/QfHwmTIyr7E

He seemed to like it... Makes some valid comments about usability

Nicholas Lawrence said:
A Cayman is better than a GT3?

I give up. I think its all a marketing ploy and people are getting paid.

Don't get me wrong, I know the GT4 is amazing and blah blah and all the other stuff (and quicker than my Carrera) but it isn't a 911. It is NOT a 911

I'll have to drive one next month if the weather holds up.

I agree. The only possible solution is to invite a member of the public along next year to join in and ensure that standards of impartiality are being properly adhered to.

Oh go on then, I'll volunteer.

Johnd52 said:
Looking forward to reading it. My only gripe is that they are including cars that you cannot buy on the open market at manufacturers price.

Completely agree with your sentiment.

EVO should run COTY in two separate groups:
Division 1. Cars you can actually place an order for
Division 2. Limited edition / sold-out specials (so, GT4, GT3 RS etc)

The only honours being within a division....

Problem is that this type of article is aimed at all motoring enthusiasts, most of whom would be unable or unlikely to acquire (m)any of these cars anyway even if they were available at cost.

I'm pretty sure that I will never be in a position to buy a F1, veyron or any of the current crop of hypercars, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to read about them and see them squaring up against their contemporaries, and in this respect the GT4 and 3RS are no different.

Whether a COTY award goes to one that is virtually unobtainable is largely irrelevant, as I'd much rather see them thrown into the mix than excluded from a comparative test. And if I couldn't afford or get my hands on the winner, then I'd feel no shame in opting for one of the other (more affordable/obtainable) cars on test instead :soapbox:

I certainly enjoy reading all EVO articles including this one, but just feel that ECOTY is moving away from its original principles. I believe these were current production cars available on the UK market. I agree with Tim 993 above, a two tier approach would work.

Whilst the Veyron was expensive, you could at least expect to be able to buy one from Bugatti if you had the required funds. You just needed a lot of them.

There was a time when they did have various categories, then the 2 top placed cars from each went through to the 'all stars' final round, the winner crowned ECOTY. Seemed very sensible, but a bit long winded.

infrasilver said:
We tested the route for them a few weeks in advance.

:grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back