Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine mounts - OEM vs aftermarket semi solid

CB911C4S

Monza
I read with interest the thread in the 996 forum
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=146610&highlight=engine+mounts
and the one on Rennlist
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1262434-jake-raby-on-semi-solid-engine-mounts-3.html

In summary, a stiffer engine mount makes the engine knock sensors believe that the engine is detonating and retards the timing, causing a drop in power.

Jake Raby is convinced and recommends standard Porsche engine mounts as a result.

There will always be differences of opinion, any thoughts or experiences to share?

Even if knock sensors retard ignition as a result, there are a bunch of other, more subjective, enhancements with updated mounts.

I suppose someone with more time / inclination than I could run back to back tests of new OEM vs aftermarket mounts and capture live knock sensor data...but it really is so much better for weight control and gear change.

I understood that solid mounts can interfere with knock sensors, but I have fitted RSS semi solids, and I am not convinced there is any issue. I understand that the race engine ECUs are mapped appropriately but I don't run a Cup car.

When we have compared peak speeds at the track, I am hitting the same peak numbers as other 9972 3.8s (ie 185kmh at the end of the short main straight at Alastaro) and we can't all have the exact same engine mounts...

I suspect that this is just one more thing on the internet to worry about.

jonno_ said:
Even if knock sensors retard ignition as a result, there are a bunch of other, more subjective, enhancements with updated mounts.

I suppose someone with more time / inclination than I could run back to back tests of new OEM vs aftermarket mounts and capture live knock sensor data...but it really is so much better for weight control and gear change.

Jake Raby's test was exactly that re B2B tests. However those who have used aftermarket like RSS speak about the improved weight control and gear shift.

As MaxA said "just one more thing on the internet to worry about."

MaxA said:
I understood that solid mounts can interfere with knock sensors, but I have fitted RSS semi solids, and I am not convinced there is any issue. I understand that the race engine ECUs are mapped appropriately but I don't run a Cup car.

When we have compared peak speeds at the track, I am hitting the same peak numbers as other 9972 3.8s (ie 185kmh at the end of the short main straight at Alastaro) and we can't all have the exact same engine mounts...

Max - agree with your arse-dyno.
Have recently upgraded very saggy OEM > RSS Tarmac series and loving them. Not convinced that they have increased knock-detection at all. Weight transfer much tighter and gear change very slick.

:thumb:

I think knock sensor issues are common on lots of engines when solid (metal on metal) mounts are used.

I doubt porsche would have fitted RS mounts to their cars if they were causing knock sensor issues. Most semi-solids are only comparable to those anyway, right?

jonno_ said:
MaxA said:

Max - agree with your arse-dyno.
Have recently upgraded very saggy OEM > RSS Tarmac series and loving them. Not convinced that they have increased knock-detection at all. Weight transfer much tighter and gear change very slick.

:thumb:

Hey I was driving to avoid the arse-dyno effect by looking at overlays from the same track but they're not empirical either, different cars, different drivers, different days...

But in short, however my RSS are staying put.

CarreraMonkey said:
I think knock sensor issues are common on lots of engines when solid (metal on metal) mounts are used.

I doubt porsche would have fitted RS mounts to their cars if they were causing knock sensor issues. Most semi-solids are only comparable to those anyway, right?

RSS even say on their own literature and descriptions that they do not cause knock sensor/CEL issues. I'd imagine the Americans would be all over that with lawsuits etc if they did cause problems.

Robertb said:
CarreraMonkey said:

RSS even say on their own literature and descriptions that they do not cause knock sensor/CEL issues. I'd imagine the Americans would be all over that with lawsuits etc if they did cause problems.
Quite. I've had them fitted for years and wont be removing them anytime soon, anyway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back