Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Droopy tip

Space Cadet

Spa-Francorchamps
My left side tip was hanging pretty low so a few months ago I replaced both engine mounts, it improved things by about 50% but the left is still hanging lower than the right (which looks perfect).

Will I likely just be able to realign the exhaust tip-tube (I think my C4S has a c. 12" tube that fits from the silencer to the tail pipe trim) or will more of the exhaust system need realigning?

I think the trim itself comes off but adjusting this won't move it up or down.

Was planning on getting some new clamps and replacing as much as I easily can.

Thanks!

The tips are adjustable but there's a good chance the clamp that needs releasing to adjust them is beyond help. You may need a new clamp. Other option is just shove a broom handle up the tip and move it to the correct position.

Thanks Alex, my question was more weather just replacing the clamp on the tip and at the end of the short pipe and trying to adjust the height of the tip would in fact cure things. Or has perhaps the whole system dropped?

C4S tips are adjustable in a variety of ways. Problem being is that the clamps on the exhaust tip and on the intermediate pipe to the back boxes may well be seized. Try and free these of and renew them then you will get a wide range of adjustment.

Thanks, for the sake of £10 a clamp I was just going to replace the clamps on the tips and the intermediate pipes anyway, just didn't know if this would actually give any vertical movement.

I need to replace the whole system at some point as its a rusty mess!

Space Cadet said:
Thanks Alex, my question was more weather just replacing the clamp on the tip and at the end of the short pipe and trying to adjust the height of the tip would in fact cure things. Or has perhaps the whole system dropped?

You can't drop the system - it's fixed to the engine with various brackets. All the adjustment is done with the tip itself (and the clamp that clamps it to the back box.

Thanks Alex, have this morning ordered some RSS engine mounts and Powerflex gearbox mount inserts along with some silencer to intermediary pipe clamps. Apparently its not possible to replace the clamps within the tips so hopefully these will undo ok, otherwise its new tips...!

The clamps are independant to the tips and just clamp over the flange of the tip. No new tips required unless you damage them in some way.

I'd just try moving the tips with a broom handle. They'll either move to where you want them too or break the clamp off reday for your new one to go on.

Easiest way to get knackered rusty clamps off.

Thanks Alex, understood and logical but I was specifically told its not possible to replace the clamps within the tips, i.e that they are part of the tips...?

If it makes any difference I have a C4S?

Edit - I've just had a look at the back of a replacement tip and the clamp is welded to the tip, i.e. its not a separate part.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back