Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Downsizing which do you keep?

Trantorman

Nurburgring
Over the last number of years I have built up a small collection of 993's over and above my other classic cars, the time has really come to reduce and move about some of my collection, I am going to add some water cooled stuff to my garage both Porsche and non Porsche and in the process generate some money to pay off bits and bobs along the way so as to reduce the monthly out goings and just make life simpler.

I am in no rush to do any of this but thought it worthwhile soliciting views on which of my 993's to part with..
So what have I got, very briefly below is the high level details on the 993's...

1997 993 Turbo, Black with Black Hard backs.
Becker, just had an engine out service and Clutch/flywheel replacement and suspension refresh, at Ninemeister, Brakes fully stripped rebuilt with new pads and discs and all the other associated normal 993 jobs done, rear chassis legs, bumper supports etc brilliant car, CAT D early in its life which will put many people off, never bothered me, it inspects well and has no hidden stories about it, but really a brilliant usable car and given the early Cat D status a car that while not appreciating as quickly as some of the others is a real pleasure to own and drive. Circa 59,000 miles

1997 993 C4S Black with Black hard backs. Manual
Becker, just had a full top end rebuild to address some oil leaks and carry out a full 24,000 service with news brakes all round plug leads, all the brackets Air con radiator, rear chassis legs some minor paint work and loads of other sensible work done, end result is a very well sorted car that will not need major money spent on it having just had £15k spent with Ninemeister, drives really well as you would expect and is a credit to the standard of work recently carried out. Circa 93,000 miles.

1995 993 Turbo, Arena Red with Black hard backs.
Becker, PS10 suspension, engine rebuild a few years back by Fern sport, good service history, wants a little bit of paint work, across the front end and the front screen removing likely £3-5 k based on my recent quotes and it would then be a mint car, has had all the brakes fully rebuilt, rear chassis legs checked and treated, a really nice supple turbo and a good investment car , Circa 64,000 miles.

1997 993 C2S Zenith Blue with Tan Hard backs. Tip Tronic.
Becker, bought on a bit of a whim earlier this year from a forum member and is currently in getting a full bare metal repaint and restoration at Ninemeister, excellent service history and much money has been spent by the previous owner to refresh the car including suspension and brake work, full interior re-trim. Some historic poor paint let the car down, but the glass out repaint will fully correct this and the re-fitment of its correct C2S engine cover, should see the car near perfect on completion of the work, Circa 103,000 miles.

The question is which do you sell and which do you keep? I am minded to keep the Cat D turbo, given its likely to be considered the black sheep by many, I think the C2S should go and may be the arena red Turbo, then keep the 4s?
I still hanker for a 964 turbo and deeply regret not buying a 3.6 965 turbo when they were around the £50k mark, a bit like the RS cars they have just gone up to far now, sadly.

Thoughts and views please....

I'm no expert on 993 but my initial thought was to part with the Cat D first, as I considered it possibly the hardest one to shift but the lower mileage atm might be a selling plus point making it a good time to sell.

I thought you have had the arena turbo advertised for ages :dont know:

jonttt said:
I thought you have had the arena turbo advertised for ages :dont know:

I thought so too. I recall reading about it a couple of years ago when it was £55/£60k but maybe I'm thinking of a different car :?:

No same car, I remember the black one being for sale and not selling as well :?:

I think there was a bit of controversy over a 964 turbo as well on pistonheads :oops:

I'm just confused by the question as I thought the op was more experienced at this sort of thing than us :dont know:

Prep the Arena Turbo and sell.

Sell the Zenith C2S.

Consider retaining the 4S as it still has a bit of value climbing to do. But only if the money isn't better used elsewhere.

Keep and enjoy the black turbo. It's obviously your favourite, and can be used and enjoyed without any worry of affecting its value.

I'd personally keep the keepers from a purely rarity and originality point of view, the arena red turbo and the 4 S.

Unfortunately, the S has a number of things against it from a long term investment viewpoint - namely mileage, tiptronic and interior colour. So I'd sell it. Even though in a few years time the S will be the car to have in the 993 range. RS excluded. Air cooled and rear wheel drive. Like a 911 should be :thumb:

:whistle:

wait a minute. you have zingerz thinking. thats some dilema you've presented to the board mate :judge:

some interesting views.

looks like keeping a Turbo, likley the black one and the 4s is the way to go. likley on a SOR basis or sell at auction thats seems to be where the buyers are more comfortable these days than buying privately at the values these days, buyers seem reluctant to buy direct from owners, may be its a comfort thing.

Wasz, yes part of my tractor collection includes a Trantor, :D

I agree with Spongebob, they would seem the two most likely to increase in value long term .

The other two would always be marked down slightly for being a cat D or tip, they would cost the same to maintain but I doubt you would gain as much long term. I'd only keep the cat D if you intend to keep it to drive regularly and often and aren't worried about keeping it in perfect condition.

I've been told by two reputable dealers recently that the 2s may overtake the 4s one day.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back