Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Double DIN upgrade? Any advice? Apple play?

not always later is better, the 18 model has less features the 17!

best to make sure its capacitive touch which I think these are

I fitted the Android unit last year. I dismantled the AC controls, PSM button units and sprayed them along with the storage unit to match.

It looks OEM in my opinion which was my intention.

I haven't used the newer Alpine / Kenwood offerings and I am sure they are better but the Android unit does everything I want it to. I run Waze on it which was my main priority. It also improved the sound through the original speakers quite noticeably.

I didn't have a multi functional steering wheel so that wasn't an issue and I changed the dash display to display fuel range (I think) to remove the missing radio display.

Fitted a reversing camera as well.

I'm very pleased all in all, especially considering the cost.

Attachments

• img_20180810_wa0010_178.jpg
    img_20180810_wa0010_178.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 3,710
The Kenwood units are excellent, I have the previous top of the line DNX9180DABS in mine, I have to plug a lead in for apple carplay but as I'm always forgetting to charge my mobile it's usually plugged in when in the car anyway! I have the DRV-N520 dashcam fitted too.

Easy to use, high resolution and tons of features I'll never use. :thumb:

p1280354.jpg

robbiej said:
not always later is better, the 18 model has less features the 17!

best to make sure its capacitive touch which I think these are

The 7017 isn't capacitive touch - the newer model is.

Nastymatt said:
rob_p said:
The 9190 has built in satnav which makes it quite expensive.

The newer version of the 7017 is the 8019 and can currently be purchased for £400. This newer model has the wireless connectivity for CarPlay and theoretically for android auto - but that functionality seems to be a little less robust (doesn't work with all phones etc).

I have the 7017 but may be about to upgrade to the 8019.

I have been waiting a couple of years for a head unit with native WiFi for CarPlay so the 9190DABS will be the unit for me - I really like the integration with the dashcam DRV-N520 so I will get that too.

Would like a reversing camera (might as well do it all while there) but I am still trying to work out a way of doing that with out having to cut a hole in the rear PU.

If you are referring to wireless CarPlay (via wifi) then the 8019 has this - it just doesn't have built in satnav. In my mind built in satnav is not very useful because google maps is always more up to date. Yes you have to use data on your phone but most people have a huge data allowance anyway.
You can also connect the kenwood dashcam to all of these units I think.

Your call obviously...

rob_p said:
Nastymatt said:
rob_p said:
The 9190 has built in satnav which makes it quite expensive.

The newer version of the 7017 is the 8019 and can currently be purchased for £400. This newer model has the wireless connectivity for CarPlay and theoretically for android auto - but that functionality seems to be a little less robust (doesn't work with all phones etc).

I have the 7017 but may be about to upgrade to the 8019.

I have been waiting a couple of years for a head unit with native WiFi for CarPlay so the 9190DABS will be the unit for me - I really like the integration with the dashcam DRV-N520 so I will get that too.

Would like a reversing camera (might as well do it all while there) but I am still trying to work out a way of doing that with out having to cut a hole in the rear PU.

If you are referring to wireless CarPlay (via wifi) then the 8019 has this - it just doesn't have built in satnav. In my mind built in satnav is not very useful because google maps is always more up to date. Yes you have to use data on your phone but most people have a huge data allowance anyway.
You can also connect the kenwood dashcam to all of these units I think.

Your call obviously...

I meant the 8019 :bonk: staring at the website too long (that and the units all look the same!!)

@cannop - is the dashcam decent? Not seen it in action but it does look good in the vids.

What do you loose by fitting an aftermarket stereo?
I have read that some of the cars settings are accessed via the PCM. So I am wondering what would I loose if I went the Kenwood route.

Thanks for all your comments guys. After Xmas my focus has been diverted to exhaust change. The missus bought us a dirty weekend at Spa (track day) and 2 nights at the Hotel De La Source. Oooooh nice work wife!

But. After just slipping the 996 under the 105db limit for Goodwood, we have an even bigger challenge with the 997. Spa is 103db.

Houston..........

gerryp said:
C11BRA said:
I'm looking to upgrade the factory screen to a more current double Din

My old PCM screen didn't have Nav but did have the factory multifunction wheel.

A few questions.

I'm guessing I will lose the multi function volume & tune use. (Not a super big deal as I'm looking to swap my wheel to the basic wheel found on GT3's)

I'm guessing that I'll lose the radio data in the instrument cluster but will the range & mpg still work via the stalk?

Can anyone suggest a good double Din with Apple Play or at least Nav?

I've seen a few surrounds that match the grey 997.1 interior. Are there any to avoid? Or should I just get one off EBay? They seem to come with wiring adapters. Will this just plug & play with my Bose system?

Thanks in advance.

Current set up.

By the way where did you get the steering wheel,gaiter and handbrake done.
Looks great.
Looking for something similar as my interior is grey as well.

Thanks. I love it. Especially the yellow stitching. The Alcantara work was already done in the 997. I had my 996 done by a trimmer I know. He is based near Twickenham.

I might have a few more dash parts done in the 997. Low on the priority list at the moment though. Exhaust next. Then double Din upgrade.

Having read through this thread, I am seriously considering the Kenwood 8019 - waze and google maps would be good enough.

I like the sound of wireless apple carplay - I have been stuck in the dark ages with PCM for years!

My question is does DAB+ require an aerial to be installed on the windscreen, or is it all hidden?

Thanks

My Kenwood DAB+ required an extra stick on aerial on the windscreen, it was fitted just above where the tax disk used to go.

Thanks for reply.

I've just been told by the installer, they would fit it in the rear quarter glass. Probably I could live with that, as I won't see it.

Poker2009 said:
Thanks for reply.

I've just been told by the installer, they would fit it in the rear quarter glass. Probably I could live with that, as I won't see it.

I'd be interested to know who you are using and costs. I see you are based in London as am I.
Interested in the Kenwood unit myself. My only concern are the functions I would loose through the PCM menu.

Sure - I am talking with Gary at audiofile in-car, based in Bishops Stortford.

He is coming back to me with a price, as I want the 8019 kenwood, not the newer one.

He has told he will connect to steering wheel controls, but it will have its own Bluetooth mic. I have had enough of PCM for the last ten years, I want google maps, Spotify!

They have good reviews online, and I want as clean an install as possible, with no cut wires.

Fulla said:
I'd be interested to know who you are using and costs. I see you are based in London as am I.
Interested in the Kenwood unit myself. My only concern are the functions I would loose through the PCM menu.

Just do as I did and program the functions you prefer before your old PCM comes out. About the only one I changed was to have the doors lock when driving off!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back