Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Door membrane adhesive - Wet door carpet

The membranes come with their own sticky tracks, am I missing something here. Trick is to ensure said glue tracks are intact and not stuck to the bags they ship in.

A lot get thrown away and never used because of this, due to one reason or another, I could not send mine back to OPC, took me about 2 hours. A task our currently retired Tech-Genius didn't really think possible. Time + Will = a way.

In garages, they don't have time to fix dodgy membranes.

The return of Marty Wild said:
The membranes come with their own sticky tracks, am I missing something here. Trick is to ensure said glue tracks are intact and not stuck to the bags they ship in.

A lot get thrown away and never used because of this, due to one reason or another, I could not send mine back to OPC, took me about 2 hours. A task our currently retired Tech-Genius didn't really think possible. Time + Will = a way.

In garages, they don't have time to fix dodgy membranes.

Oh they come with the sticky stuff already installed ready to go??
I didn't know this.
Can wait for it to be delivered before I go buying anything extra then. Hopefully it'll be good to go.

Loads come already screwed, Id recommend picking them up yourself from OPC and checking the brown wax paper is still covering the entirety of the glue tracks.

Razorblade and elbow grease to remove as much of the old glue tracks as you can. Clean up the metalwork of the door as nicely as possible to give the new membranes as good a chance to bond well.

Clear bathroom sealant, used and removed and used again for door seal.

When I bought a new drivers side door membrane in June from OPC Bristol I also bought part no P00004310100 referred to as 'sealing cord"
You can stick the new membrane on without it but they recommend using the additional part.

You can use the Butyl sealing strips for car windscreens to replace the sticky membrane tape, c£10 from amazon (applies to later 9x7 cars as well, where the membrane is metal and c£200 to replace !)

I had similar issues with wet door trim and replacing the membrane solved it.

I bought mine from my OPC, cheaper than D911 with 10% discount - they give it for Porsche Club GB but I have also had the discount for 911UK membership!

I had the same problem. Unfortunately when I removed the door panel the membrane looked perfect ...no obvious diagnosis .... regardless I went around the edge with silicone and filled the gaps at the top where the wires run.

I also cleaned all the door and window seals with rubber cleaner although they looked perfect too. Silicon spray or ArmorAll might be a good idea to maintain the elasticity of the rubber.

Anyway problem is fixed .

German Engineering ...... they put expensive electronics on the floor of the car ... no drain, and I've never known a car to leak like a Porsche !

Today I fitted the new membrane. It's totally different to the original one. Seems thinner but has lots of noise deadening added to it.
Removing the old glue was a tough job with a Stanley blade.
The new one had a bead of glue already applied so just needed to be pushed onto the door. Pretty straight forward although had to make sure it was aligned spot on before sticking down as it's super sticky stuff. I used the airbag screw holes to help position it at the top first.
Photos attached of before and after. Hope that sorts the issue of water coming in. Bring on the rain!

Attachments

• img_20211105_141732_167.jpg
    img_20211105_141732_167.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,050
Permanent fix is not a very pretty solution (but a lot cheaper), which is to put a "shower curtain" in.

Otherwise eventually you go will go through another membrane as the seal breaks apart again.

You still need to resolve the problem of so much water getting in before it rots the window regulator and bodywork.

Alex said:
You still need to resolve the problem of so much water getting in before it rots the window regulator and bodywork.

The water is supposed to go in, and the drain holes let it out. You are over thinking it!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back