Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash Cam Hard Wire -What Fuse To Slot to Use /Replace Advise

Caloosa

Looking for some advise generally

I want to hard wire my new Dashcam ( Nextbase 300 12/24v ) ..directly into the fuse panel.. this seems to be the general path most people are going down ? I looked at the forum and there was a bit of confusion ( me most likely !) as to which fuse spur i should piggy bank onto .. I naturally thought the cigarette lighter one but anyone else have advise on this .. oh what fuse number !!?- Gen 2 997 C4S?

Also any advise on keeping the cable hidden and neat ?.. presume i should try to tuck it under the trim above the rear view mirror and somehow feedback back to the fuse box..not sure if the lid of the fuse panel will close with cable going into it .- i was going to use a compatible hard wire kit, but it does have a little square box .. not sure where to aim that ... will i need to earth this and if so where .. fuse box? i maybe making this sound complicated !!so
is this a pretty strait forward job?

Finally am i correct in saying battery will not drain as this will be active and come on "only" when the ignition switch is turned on - a tad worried about that.

Thanks in advance to any feedback -much appreciated

The cigarette sockets on the 997.2 are always live so if you use one of them the camera will always be powered and sapping a small amount of power.

I've been meaning to do this however I want the ability to override the switched power when I want the camera to record when I leave the car in some locations. That's why at the moment its convenient to just use the cigarette socket in the centre console and plug it in when I need it.

A couple of options.

1) I posted a DIY on making the footwell socket switchable between permanently on (which is what it is when it comes from the factory) and it being ignition switched. - see
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=133469&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

2) As OP was suggesting tap straight into fuse box in footwell. Row C in the driver footwell fuse panel is ignition switched. Row C F5 relates to PDK module/selector so if a manual, this slot should be empty and could be used (see pic below) with an in-line fuse holder/piggy back. I cannot remember if the vacant slot 1 has power to it that could be fused/tapped - need to check with a multi-meter. There is always the option of simply using a piggy-back fuse assuming there is space on any of the slots; I haven't tried this. In terms of an earth, if you loosen the fuse panel and pull back the carpet around the fuse box, there is an earthing point somewhere in the neighbourhood.

Attachments

• copy_of_fuse_box_002ddddddd_866.jpg
    copy_of_fuse_box_002ddddddd_866.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,324

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back