Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DAB antenna for a cabriolet

KarlRS

Monza
Good evening people,

Before I get castigated for it, I have the Porsche PCM 3.0 unit fitted to my car which I would like to keep so the car is 'original" so to speak. I have purchased a Dension DAB+U which will plug into the USB so I can select stations as if in an MP3 file. The question is, has anybody retrofitted DAB to their convertible and if so with which antenna have they had the most success. I would rather not drill into a wing or the windscreen pillar to fit one, so it will be glass mounted. I have seen a thread on the 993 chat and a Norwegian chap on there suggests to fit one horizontally. This may work in Norway as they have switched FM off and DAB has significant coverage, but what if any success has any body had who have fitted one and what make was it?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be welcome.

Thank you

Mines stuck on the windscreen in the top corner of the passenger side.

No photo but talked about it here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=143464

Similar to this but at 90 degrees and running along the top. Doddle to fit and didn't even have to remove any panels. No wires visible.

dab-windscreen-aerial-complete.jpg

Alex said:

Similar to this but at 90 degrees and running along the top. Doddle to fit and didn't even have to remove any panels. No wires visible.

Same here. However, the new PCM+ uses a booster on the existing windscreen aerial which hides under the windscreen pillar covering. May be worth investigating,

drmark said:
Alex said:

Same here. However, the new PCM+ uses a booster on the existing windscreen aerial which hides under the windscreen pillar covering. May be worth investigating,
The interface for the PCCM+ was my idea if you can buy the parts separately. I've tried four different aerials for DAB with no luck on any. The closest I had to a working one was a through glass telescopic one which worked brilliantly. The only problem was, as soon as I fitted it behind the pillar trim, It simply stopped working.

I've since given up & use my fave radio station app via the phone.

DAB Aerial for a Cabriolet

Thank you for the replies, I would rather not have a wire stuck on the inside of the front screen. I am in discussion with Tore at FX in Norway who has mounted over 100 at the top of the screen. The antenna being placed horizontally, I have trawled a number of DAB forums and the consensus is to position the aerial vertically for best reception. You can buy the DAB antenna which fits on the left side of the a pillar replacing the original FM one but I am am sure it needs its own power source and if so from where? This also calls into question as to whether the right hand one will also be required for DAB, if so I will not have an active aerial and signal amplifier for am/fm? Any audio guru's out there. I am sure I am not the only one who would like a tidy install

Just took some snaps of mine for reference.

N5su2Vj.jpg

WvSElQ5.jpg

TPKufET.jpg

DAB antenna for Canriolet

Alex,

That looks rather jolly good and very stealth like! May I ask what the level of reception is like?

Thank you

Karl

Reception most of the time (99%) is fine and I live in a semi rural area where reception can be hit and miss.

DAB antenna for cabriolet

Excellent, looks like the way forward then.

Thank you

:thumb:

DAB Aerial for Cabriolet

So........
Uploaded programme K188 to the Dension DAB+U unit, fitted the Dension amplified windscreen antenna as per the suggestion of Alex, set the scan and lo and behold 100 DAB stations listed. This was with the car in the confines of my thickly walked garage. No road test yet as a monsoon struck with an accompanying light show, but impressed so far. Only takes about 10 seconds to buffer as well.

Thank you everyone for your input.

See you at Porsche in the park on the 15th of July if you are going.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff993
Back