Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Creak/rattle behind passenger airbag area

JBianchi

Has anyone had this?

I have an annoying constant creak/squeek coming from the passenger side of the dashboard. Pretty sure its behind the dash.

Sounds creaky like two materials rubbing against each other. Its always noticable unless on completely smooth roads.

I'm not one to chase rattles and squeaks but this is new and obvious.

Any ideas?

996 C2 coupe

Yes I get that too in my 996. I think it's the airbag cover panel. I find that if it's rattling badly, and a passenger applies light pressure with their fingers on the airbag cover, the sound disappears. I have used some felt tape by folding it over and sliding it into the gap between the cover and the rest of the dashboard. This reduces amount of rattles a fair bit but doesn't eliminate it. I just used a couple of really small pieces, and by folding it over so the adhesive side isn't touching the airbag cover, as I wanted to make sure I didn't jam it in. I.e. if the airbag ever needs to deploy i definitely don't want anything to interfere with it.

I did consider removing and refitting the airbag cover, but didn't as I thought there was a risk that would just make the creaking worse.

thank you, I will try that, although we have pressed on the airbag cover and the noise is still there. It sounds like its coming from lower and further back in the dash.

The noise is like a glovebox rattle

For starters .. remove the glove box and test , that will prove it's not that and i kinda doubt it is but worth proving .

From memory .. it's been a long time but there are 2 bolts that hold the airbag in place i believe .. make sure they are tight ... glove box out and upwards .

Outer edge of the airbag .. the leather can cause creaks .. i think we used to remove the airbag and krytox the leather contacts surfaces ( the edges ) .. krytox is a rubber replenisher ( Porsche ) .. it makes things a bit more supple .

Ok the worst part .. it may be the dashboard fixing , nothing you can really do here without pulling the dash forward and tapeing or lubricating the contact points ..

Its basically a V shape with the dash inserted into it .. again from memory as its been a long while since ive had this sort of " pleasure ".

Also look at the A pillar where it meets the dash. I just put some felt down the gap and it solved my creak in that area.

Ok so the A pillar has been removed, the demister vent, and the speaker on top of the dash. The creak/squeek is louder and seems to be coming through the speaker hole towards the windscreen.

I have tightened any screws or bolts I can see. The noise gets worse at speed over bumpier roads.

Driving me insane!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back