Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coil pack - How Lucky 😜

askgeez

Albert Park
driving home Friday the car showed a yellow check engine light, misfiring , couldn't pull skin off a rice pudding ....

So after diagnosis on here and Renntech etc decided that either MAF and / or Coil packs were the likely culprits

Found a discount code on here for ECP , so ordered 6 coils , plugs and a MAF

Only because it was a bank holiday , and with power of YouTube , decided to give it a go myself,

Fault reader showed MAF fault and misfire on all cylinders , replaced MAF in under a minute..started car, sounded marginally better , but drove it hundred yards... No good :sad:
Scanned codes again, now just PO306, a misfire on cylinder 6 :dont know:

This is where the lucky bit comes :)

Jacked car up, didn't even have to take wheel off. Took the small metal cover off ... Rusted through !! What is only cylinder I can see? Number 6

Coil packs are held in with just 2 Torx , got them out, took the plug out seeing it was there ...old coil rusty as hell. Replaced with a new one (bit bigger?!)

Put back together... Immediately realised from engine note I had done it
:thumbs:

Took her out for a 30 min run, dare I say it... Feels better than before :puh:

For me this was quite an achievement , I don't even own tools, everything was borrowed. I've got soft office hands :puh:

Moral of the story... Get out there peeps

It's dead Jim!

New one in place

Rusty plate, coil 6 lives right behind this rust hole !!

I would swap the remaining coil packs TBH.

If one is goosed the others are not far behind.

I'd also look to replace the cover as well.....

And well done for getting stuck in! Great result - especially if it's means you can get some bank holiday motoring in.
How much was the maf out of interest - been thinking of doing mine.
There never seems to be much discussion of faulty maf sensors on here, over on boxa.net there have been lots of threads of maf sensors. Bit curious to me.

Nice one Geez :thumb:

NB: Your membership of the 'duffers club' is now officially revoked.

I didn't have torx with tamper proof "hole" so I had to spend £19 on a set of them :frustrated:

A Bosch branded MAF from eurocarparts is £196.80 less any discount code,
"Bankholiday" gave 10%, "special15" is a one time code

GSF car parts had them at £227 , but there a 33% discount code this weekend, but can't see brand, it's not a Bosch , so I steered away from it

Carparts4less is cheapest at £168 , but it's post (free) only and I needed it assp

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l...c9b695fce20f27f90642fbf33456870adc0e3b&000009

^^
Thanks Chaps

But for the other 2 nearer exhaust, that looks like it needs more tools / proper talent may be a case of :whiteflag:

I did all of mine recently - plugs and coils, some of them are tricky, but as long as you've got access to a 3/8 socket set with universal joint and a short 'wobble' bar and most importantly a bit of patience, you'll be alright. If you are capable of doing one you should be able to do the rest and it makes sense to do them all at the same time, especially if you have already bought them all.

Aso well worth replacing the shields especially since they have rotted through - they are not expensive around £15 each, same part number both sides.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back