Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Codes! Help..

MartyCush

HI,
Hope everyone is well!
My new (1st) 911 arrived on Saturday, excited from purchase 30th Dec

OK so excitement from getting my new 911 soon turned to concern. I took the advice of you guys and got a PPI before purchase- didn't seem to matter :nooo:

Car arrived in N. Ireland from London on Saturday.. collected it from the transport company and went filled her up, excited for the drive home. 2mins after filling up i have dreaded engine management light on.

As it was a yellow light and no other option i drove 60mils home, without issue.. car drove perfectly fine.

unable to get the car scanned until the Monday, thought id try driving it again to see how it was, when approaching lights after going down the gears before going into neutral it cut out and wouldn't start - i thought battery, quick bump start I got it home and have ordered a battery.

Scanned the car at local garage on Monday
P10016 - Cranckshaft Position vis-a-vis intake camshaft, bank 1
P0300 Misfiring, Checksum error
P0301 Misfiring, Cylinder 1
P030 misfiring, Cylinder 3

They cleared the codes and i took it a 60mile round trip.. just before going into my garage i got the light on and rough idle (lumpy)
Ive also noticed really poor fuel economy (I didn't buy it for mpg) but its def not as it should be, maybe related.

Some have said camshaft sensor others thinking coil packs - i checked the last coil packs were touched were back in Sep 2019, three installed by previous owner.
maybe replace the others?

Anyone any input they could offer?
Car is a 911 - Carrera 4S (997.1)

Thanks in advance.

Marty

Hi Marty, it looks like the cam position sensor needs replacing.

It's probably stuck in high lift mode which is causing it to run lumpy at idle and will cause the misfires you're getting and the higher fuel consumption.

At high revs I bet it's running fine ?

Only 3 coil packs replaced? Why didn't the previous owner do the whole lot? Any idea which side was done?

Hope this doesn't dampen your experience :thumb:

Alfaian said:
Hi Marty, it looks like the cam position sensor needs replacing.

It's probably stuck in high lift mode which is causing it to run lumpy at idle and will cause the misfires you're getting and the higher fuel consumption.

At high revs I bet it's running fine ?

sja360 said:
Only 3 coil packs replaced? Why didn't the previous owner do the whole lot? Any idea which side was done?

Hope this doesn't dampen your experience :thumb:

I dropped him a WhatsApp but no reply as yet.

Not at all (yet) if this is a quick fix and I can enjoy the car then it's all good..

Thanks

I would lean towards a problem with the variocam solenoid .. this alters the cam timing and as such would account for the code for incorrect cam to crank position .. the camshaft sensor is what sees this and is flagging the code..

Technically there should be all three cylinders misfiring but no.2 might be at the threshold but not registered yet .

Hi lift tappet solenoid .. whilst possible i've never yet seen a cam timing code when its been this otherwise as above it would have been my first thought .

deMort said:
I would lean towards a problem with the variocam solenoid .. this alters the cam timing and as such would account for the code for incorrect cam to crank position .. the camshaft sensor is what sees this and is flagging the code..

Technically there should be all three cylinders misfiring but no.2 might be at the threshold but not registered yet .

Hi lift tappet solenoid .. whilst possible i've never yet seen a cam timing code when its been this otherwise as above it would have been my first thought .

Maybe sounding silly, but would it be possibly related to a bad battery? I know the car has been sitting for around 6 months.. I went out this evening and while on trickle charge the car started sounded 100% and no lumpy idle. maybe just luck, start driving and it could pop its head up again.
New battery on order with ECP

Thanks

Battery issue and i very much doubt it but standing around for that period of time and it may well just be lack of use .

The solenoids are oil fed valves .. it switches a pressure .. a blockage or slight one will certainly cause issues .. this could clear when hot and used so that there isn't a further problem .

if it was me i would clear the codes and drive it for a few days to see if it was just a once off problem .

After that , if it happens again , i would lean towards changing the cam solenoid after checking camshaft deviations on a tester .

deMort said:
Battery issue and i very much doubt it but standing around for that period of time and it may well just be lack of use .

The solenoids are oil fed valves .. it switches a pressure .. a blockage or slight one will certainly cause issues .. this could clear when hot and used so that there isn't a further problem .

if it was me i would clear the codes and drive it for a few days to see if it was just a once off problem .

After that , if it happens again , i would lean towards changing the cam solenoid after checking camshaft deviations on a tester .

I think your right DeMort.. the reason why I ask is because I've had it on trickle charge and been getting a drive in the evenings, since the errors were cleared they haven't came back.. 250miles later I've filled up with super unleaded (was thinking could be dirty petrol related)
But it's been fine since!
I will fit the battery because I now have it but outside that drive and see what happens! 😊

deMort said:

Hi deMort,
Just thought id drop you an update..
Was our for a drive earlier and when dropping from 3rd to 2nd or going from 2nd to 1st the car cuts out.. and has now flagged engine management light again.. think I need to book it into a garage to get it properly checked over..
Hoping it's not something expensive! 1 week of ownership and less than a full tank of petrol :nooo:

That's a shame young man .. i was hoping it was just where the car had sat for a while ..

Going from your earlier codes though and if it is just the cam solenoid then it's not a huge cost .. im guessing 2-3 hundred for a replacement .

I would ask that the garage checks the camshaft deviations though .. that shows how far out the cam adjustment is .. mainly comparing bank to bank .

Codes might be different this time though .. can't say till checked but i'm always here to give the best advice i can .

deMort said:
That's a shame young man .. i was hoping it was just where the car had sat for a while ..

Going from your earlier codes though and if it is just the cam solenoid then it's not a huge cost .. im guessing 2-3 hundred for a replacement .

I would ask that the garage checks the camshaft deviations though .. that shows how far out the cam adjustment is .. mainly comparing bank to bank .

Codes might be different this time though .. can't say till checked but i'm always here to give the best advice i can .

Much appreciated sir!

Cheers!

Marty,

Where are you and what code reader are you using?

If you can find some one with a PIWIS they can cycle the solenoids, which is cheaper than replacement.
It isn't a big deal to swap the solenoids over and see if the fault changes sides.
PIWIS can also check the cam deviations on each side.

Captain Lockheed said:
Marty,

Where are you and what code reader are you using?

If you can find some one with a PIWIS they can cycle the solenoids, which is cheaper than replacement.
It isn't a big deal to swap the solenoids over and see if the fault changes sides.
PIWIS can also check the cam deviations on each side.

Hi, Im based Belfast and scanned with ICarsoft V2.0 - Great unit purchased off Amazon

Do you have an independent near that can cycle the solenoids?

If not you could try swapping the solenoids from left to right to see if the fault moves sides.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back