Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clarkson & Top Gear team flee Argentina

Just a coincidence, I very much doubt it.

I stopped watching this show when it stopped being about cars and more about Clarkson's ego.

Whilst I agree with everyones comments, the bbc are not going to drop Top Gear as its still their biggest rating earner!

I haven't watched an episode in over a year. I don't even put the repeats on when I'm bored.

It goes to show how big they still are though when there are people talking about these incidents on the internet when none of us actually care about the show at all.

What has Clarkson been up to in the last 12 months? Off the top of my head there is this incident, the episode where he was stitched up for using the 'N' word, and the 'motha f££kka' ice bucket challenge clip. Any more I've missed out?

Other than the latter, all good publicity for the show.

Bad publicity is better than no publicity!

ragpicker said:
Bad publicity is better than no publicity!

Given the format of the show, and the audience to which it appeals, you could say that bad publicity is better than good publicity.

Well Argentina keep insisting the islands are called the Malvinas so the number plate shouldn't offend them!

I suspect even the greenbacks the Beeb are getting for the show aren't enough to outweigh the fuss. Don't be surprised if there is a personell change sooner rather than later.

Wilman and Clarkson will no doubt turn up on Sky or somewhere else when that happens. Or they might even remain behind the cameras with new talent......

Fingers crossed as I find it toss these days. The Indian and Middle East episodes in particular were just embarrassing.

New996buyer said:
I suspect even the greenbacks the Beeb are getting for the show aren't enough to outweigh the fuss. Don't be surprised if there is a personell change sooner rather than later.

Clarkson part owns the show - the beeb literally cannot fire him. They can cancel it, but they cannot drop Jeremy from it and keep it (along with its huge international revenue stream). More to the the point though - it is such a commercially valuable property that if it were cancelled then it would simply reappear on another station.

In short, if you don't like it then you can always turn it off. But it isn't going away unless the presenters don't want to make it any more.

Disco said:
New996buyer said:

Clarkson part owns the show - the beeb literally cannot fire him. They can cancel it, but they cannot drop Jeremy from it and keep it (along with its huge international revenue stream). More to the the point though - it is such a commercially valuable property that if it were cancelled then it would simply reappear on another station.

In short, if you don't like it then you can always turn it off. But it isn't going away unless the presenters don't want to make it any more.

Absolutely they have a share, but is it not along the lines of 'Producers' own the rights to make the show, while the Beeb retain the name / IP / brand?

And won't the Beeb have a break clause for certain behaviours may? Sure, the cash is attractive to the Beeb but it's governed by more than just cash (I admit to naively believing.....). But the extra dimension is that in these post 'Saville' (Jimmy, not Lord) times the 'standards' pressure will grow. And that'll put Clarkson at risk. Sure, neighbour 'Dave' from Chipping Norton will always be able to hold some sway, but in the end the cost benefit of switching personnel while retaining the brand name will at some point Be considered if things continue in this way? Surely.....?

I just think it's less certain than the simple 'they'll get canned' and the dichotomous 'it won't happen'. I'd say until this fiasco the odds were in Clarkson / Whilman's favour. Now I think the pendulum may have swung away from them and they're on thin ice.

But let's wait and see......everything'll be obvious once it happens :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shofwan_khilmi
Back