Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Check strap repair

Gmpaul

Shopping around for repair on my check strap & getting conflicting advice.

One indie mentioned the importance of retaining the existing strap itself. Rationale being that it's NOT the strap itself at fault and that it's become matched (thru wear) to the door. That the detents and rubber 'spring" have worn so lessening the force on the pivot clamp. This sounds reasonable, except another indie mentioned they'd replace the strap with a new part. Rationale here, seemingly being an assumption that porsche has modified the strap from the factory fitted part (to lessen the detents?).

Anyone know which is best? Have to say the former has logic for me but not if the replacement part is indeed modified to address a design flaw.

:dont know:

I always thought it was the spot welds on the plate that the hinge was attached to that gave the problem :dont know:

Re: 993

sorry: wrong thread

What is the symptom that is leading you to want to do work on the check-strap? Has the weld broken inside the A-pillar or is it something else?

I had mine done at Ninemeister. They cut in a new section of pillar, and replaced the strap too - advising that the original would most likely be worn and stretched, which could cause mis-alignment.
I've had absolutely no problem with this since.

ATB

AndyS said:
I had mine done at Ninemeister. They cut in a new section of pillar, and replaced the strap too - advising that the original would most likely be worn and stretched, which could cause mis-alignment.

ATB

Curious how much this was and did it involve much paint finish?

9xxnick said:
What is the symptom that is leading you to want to do work on the check-strap? Has the weld broken inside the A-pillar or is it something else?

Failed factory A-pillar anchor weld

AndyS said:

ATB

I had mine done at 911 Triple R in Wembley.
You won't find a better Porsche fabricator.

Cut into a pillar
Remove strap
Strengthen area
Refit new strap
Close and,paint.

About £400 + VAT per side.

Do it properly and do it once.

sday12 said:

Good price. Was this recently?

Gmpaul said:
sday12 said:

Good price. Was this recently?

No, about 5 years ago.

Gmpaul said:
AndyS said:

ATB

Part of a much bigger job I'm afraid - full glass out and bare metal paint job, so can't really say for this part.

Usually the mount on the A pillar breaks free of it's spot welds.

The cheap bodge is a weld on the outside, but this looks poor and really the outer skin of the pillar isn't up to the job of taking the strain and will eventually fail again making an even bigger mess.

The pillar needs opening up. This involves very least door removal to gain access. Once opened up the mount can be strongly affixed to the inner pillar and then closed again. Sometimes it is such a mess in there that a new section of pillar or even a whole pillar panel is a better fix.

Worth replacing the check strap hardware too if you have this done, as the old one is likely worn and misaligned. Some choose to modify the new strap to make it have less resistance, this putting less strain on the mount. I'd say this isn't necessary if the mount is repaired properly.

Here is a rubbish pic the bodyshop took of the open pillar back when I had my 4S done just to show you how at is constructed.

Attachments

• dscf2351_137.jpg
    dscf2351_137.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,889

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back