Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cheap, Easy DIY Jobs

Brakes? Well front brake pads maybe....
Goes without saying that if you can diy you will make a decent saving vs a garage... and a significant saving vs OPC.
I have started doing more and more of the servicing on my car - I enjoy working on the car and it adds to the ownership experience for me.

Another option - cover the under dash with alcantara. Can be done for maybe £20. Cheap alcantara rip off from amazon for £10 plus the spray adhesive from eBay.

There are a few jobs that are definitely worth doing that only cost a tin of rust treatment and some decent metal paint:

Check your chassis braces under the car front and back, they are quite cheap to replace but if you are up for a few jobs + prolong their life, clean off, treat and paint.

Behind the front wheel arch looking to front of the car there is a bracket cage assembly i think I holds the condenser but I can't quite remember as its been a few years but there is definitely something that is prone to rust in this area so have a look at this while the bumper is off. (Someone will tell us what it holds)

While the wheel arch is loose also check the rubber flappy drain plug valve is clear and not full of silt. (Near the bottom at he back of the arch)

Check your tandem pump cover it will be rusty for sure but you might get another year out of it if you clean, treat and protect. Don't go mad while a wire wheel though you will go through the lids its not thick gauge.

Under trays can always come off for a jet wash and check the screws that hold them to the car as they rust.

Some change the front side light / fog light bulbs for cool white to match your head lamps.

I could add more but these all above can be done for next to nothing but could save quite a few quid + time down the line. If you do this list it will definitely keep you going for a few days. :thumb:

rob_p said:
Brakes? Well front brake pads maybe....
Goes without saying that if you can diy you will make a decent saving vs a garage... and a significant saving vs OPC.
I have started doing more and more of the servicing on my car - I enjoy working on the car and it adds to the ownership experience for me.

Another option - cover the under dash with alcantara. Can be done for maybe £20. Cheap alcantara rip off from amazon for £10 plus the spray adhesive from eBay.

The alcantara is IMO a nice look , mine was done profecionally but agreed if you have the time and DIY skills it can be done very cheaply

and another nice mod for around £38 a corner refresh the seatbelts , companies like quick fit seat belts carry OE grade webbing in just about every colour you can think of , I was able to virtually match my body colour

Attachments

• img_2229_261.jpg
    img_2229_261.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,810
  • img_2227_122.jpg
    img_2227_122.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,810
  • img_2218_141.jpg
    img_2218_141.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,810
Phil - your seatbelts look great, however I don't think I'm going to change mine to a brighter colour (midnight blue exterior). Interior refresh/re-trim will be a job for another time and will try to coordinate everything.

The tandem pump cover is a very good call, they're very prone to rusting as they are exposed to road grime and corrode quickly. The main reason the pump fails is due to the cover, so fitting a new cover will save you a lot of cash in the long run.
The brackets mentioned hold the rads and condensers, they are behind the inner arch covers and TBH taking the bumper off is quite easy so do that an treat everything exposed. Condensers take a hammering and even though mine looked fine and the Air Con worked they had become porous and needed changing. It's not a garage job and you'll save a hell of a lot doing it yourself.
The only bit that is garage related is obviously the discharge and recharge, costs about £45.
You can do the DIY grills when you've got the bumper off as well.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back