Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ceramic Coating Question

Davyp

Guys

I’ve taken the plunge and ordered a brand new 992 for delivery next month.

The Porsche centre have offered me PPF and a ceramic coating prior to collection, (the car, not me)

I’ve pretty much ruled out PPF but I’m undecided on the ceramic.

What are the views of the collective?

It would cost £995

The car will only be used in the summer months and rarely on wet roads, and always garaged.

In the past I’ve always done the polishing myself, with a quality wax

Any advice would be appreciated

Consensus of opinion on this site is that OPCs are expensive and a proper detailer would be a lot cheaper.

I'm only 2 weeks in since my car was done by the OPC before I collected my car and have never had it done before. So I'm not much help in making your decision.

to do it right the paint would need correcting first - so at least a single stage polish before coating, are the OPC doing this in with the cost? reason it would need this is that even new paint has swirls in it and you wouldnt want these sealing in.

Try Gtechniq Crystal Serum, I have twice and it both lasts well and is very effective.
Had the work carried out by SL Restoration in Crawley who are a Porsche approved body shop.

I also declined the dealer offer of ceramic coating - they actually offered it for free as a sweetener for the long wait. Glad I did as the paint work on the car needed a stage 1 polish at my local friendly detailer to get right before he was happy to apply the Gtechniq coatings, he said he was surprised how poor the paintwork was on a new car!
I’d recommend it but get It done right.

Key is to maintain the paintwork after correction. If you cannot, the not worth it.

OPC cost is expensive, ask locally for better options including give the paint a check over

Porsche standards are rather basic when it comes to paint

I like ceramic coatings, but beware, not all are equal! I would save your money and take it to a decent detailing professional, who can assess the paint and recommend a proper product.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back