Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car-maker VW in cheating in emissions test shocker

declandio said:
alex yates said:
I don't know what all the fuss is about. I don't see this as being any different than the secondary air pump.

Main difference, I think, would be that the secondary air pump isn't hidden and doesn't magic into life only when testing is being done. Also - it's not really a 'cheating device', if my understanding is correct it is used to get the cat up to temperature more quickly and reduce the length of time it takes for the engine to be come 'more efficient'?

It's like an engineered solution vs a slight of hand trick.

As far as I can see, it's only a software version of the secondary air pump solution. That suffered to do nothing except pass the tests.

It's spread into Europe now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34345210

Now Europe has a problem also.

It affects the EA 189 coded engines in the following Euro cars re:

The Jetta, Beetle, Audi A3 and Golf manufactured from 2009-2015 are affected, as well as the 2014-15 Passat models.

Crikey - this could bring VW/Porsche and Audi to its knees with massive job & business losses.

Re: It's spread into Europe now

wizard993 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34345210

Now Europe has a problem also.

Yes and no. You have to remember that gaming the tests is not actually illegal in Europe (as long as all production cars do it, so any random sample tested gives the same results). In the US - however - the opposite is the case, which is why it has kicked off. Over there the car has to behave on the road in the same way as it does during the test, thus having a dyno mode is illegal and subject to punitive sanctions in a way that it isn't in Europe.

The most likely outcome in Europe is that the rules will change for the tests. It is also likely that moves being proposed to ban or punitively tax diesel cars in cities may gain significantly more traction.

Not sure the SAI is cheating is it- I thought it raised the exhaust temperature (a bit like blowing into a fire) to increase the catalytic converter temp to convert nasty gasses quicker... maybe I'm being naive.

Robertb said:
Not sure the SAI is cheating is it- I thought it raised the exhaust temperature (a bit like blowing into a fire) to increase the catalytic converter temp to convert nasty gasses quicker... maybe I'm being naive.

It's an 'added extra' to enable the 996 to pass American emission laws. If those laws didn't exist, there wouldn't be an SAI and if it didn't have the SAI it would be illegal in America.

What's the difference between that and some software that enables the car to 'tick the boxes'? :dont know:

The difference being that the SAI works all the time and demonstrably reduces exhaust emissions on cold start.

The VW ECU contains an algorith that games the US test as it recognised the test protocol. When the car is driven in the real world it does not work at all.

The SAI doesn't work all the time, just when the car is started from cold and once 'in the real world' is turned off.

The only difference is hardware rather than software.

Show me a modern car that doesn't contain algorithms to suit emission tests.

I'll bet you £50 :wack:

Ah, but that's the whole point- the SAI works when the cats are too cold to do the job properly. Once warm, the cats work and the SAI is not needed. So they do serve a purpose in the real world, as opposed to the VW algo.

But true, ECUs are certainly set up to give best results for economy + emissions tests (hence the benefits that can be often gained by 'chipping').

So you're not having my £50 :D

Both solutions were implemented to pass american emission law. Anything else is irrelevant.

They were only put on cars to do one thing - pass a law.

This whole VW thing has been blown way out of proportion. Day 3 on the news and it's now starting to get a bit fecking tedious.

Hopefully the Hajj pilgrimage stampede may take some of BBC's news propaganda time up and everybody can get back to burning oil.

Agreed.

"what, do you mean that all along my oil burning car has been causing POLLUTION?" :eek: (rings lawyer...)

If people are that bothered, buy an EV or a bike.

:thumb: :)

Does my oil fired central heating boiler - which essentially runs on diesel fuel - have to pass the same emissions regs as cars, I wonder... :?:

They broke the law for profit. They're going to rightly get screwed.

I'd like to see many more join them. Personally I'm sick of large corporates gaming the system for shareholder and not wider societal gain. I'd like to see more punished. I'd start with News International if too many judges and politicians weren't already in their pocket.

Allegedly.

New996buyer said:
They broke the law for profit. They're going to rightly get screwed.

Personally I'm sick of large corporates gaming the system for shareholder and not wider societal gain.

Allegedly.

Quick question - Didn't the general public who bought the cars gain by paying greatly reduced road tax, eg. £20 instead of £230, due to their 'gaming'?

IMHO - the only people who should be 'sick' of what's gone on here are the Governments and rival companies :dont know:

Edit: Oh yes, and the tree huggers.

Edit (again): It's companies like VAG who've put Germany on the map and made it one of Europe's greatest countries, also the flagship of Europe (IMO). How wider societal gain would you prefer - donate all profit to Africa?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back