Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Broken oil tank stud

Gwsinc

Montreal
Hello all. I noticed a while back that one of the middle oil level sender studs had broken off the tank, it leaked a little, nothing to write home about, but enough to put it on my list of things to do. So today I tried to install a new gasket to slow the leak (the old one was 25 yrs old and very flat!) but one of the old gasket's aluminium rings had fused itself to the broken stud! I couldn't get it off annoyingly.

I did the best I could with the new gasket by cutting the equivalent aluminium rings out and putting a little gasket sealer along the side of the seal.

I suspect this will be ok for a while but I expect a replacement oil tank is the next step, which I'm happy to DIY. I plan to get a used one and replace all the seals and o rings while I'm in there.

Has anyone got any tips on where to get a decent used tank, there are a few on eBay for reasonable money? Any other hints or tips?

Thanks in advance

If the stud is broken due to some corrosion you may have problems getting the oil pipes out of the oil filter housing. To get the tank out, you will need to do this.

Before doing anything else related to the tank removal make sure that you can disconnect the pipes. These are a push fit on the filter side and a bolted union on the other. Once out, the rest is actually easier than it looks as you can disconnect them from the oil cooler and remove.

After that it's about disconnecting the hoses and removing the tank.

Thanks for that, the rest of the tank is actually in good nick. I think the stud that snapped was massively over tightened in the past. The others Still look good, which makes this all the more annoying!

I would not advise using a second hand tank. They're quite complicated internally and cannot be made perfectly clean. Any debris will enter the oil supply and..... :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back