Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Beware: JR58CAR is a CAT S not a Cheap 997 Gen 2

jkhamler

Trainee
911uk MODERATOR EDIT:

The thread title has been changed due to the car appearing on a Dealer Website with no mention of the Cat S status.

Hi all,

I'm still tentatively looking around for my first 997, budget sub £25k - manual, coupe. I do prefer the look and sound of the early models but I can't say that I wouldn't be worried about the potential engine issues. Which leads me to the bottom of the Gen 2 market.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/911-997-...Year-2008-2009-model-year-manual/303588172245

Should I run a mile? What would you honestly offer for this car in the current market given the state of it - Cat S, poor bodywork, dodgy black wheels, etc. £18k?

Thanks, Jon

Sounds like you'd prefer a Gen 1, so if i were you i'd steer clear of cheap Gen 2's, with your budget you'd get a decent Gen 1, maybe even one with a Hartech or similar rebuilt engine.
That Gen 2 looks like it needs money spent on it, and unless you plan on keeping it for a very long time, re sale would be a pain with the Cat S status.

Join Porsche Owners UK group if you're on Facebook, some good cars pop up for sale on there before they get advertised on eBay etc.

Its a dilemma isn't it, I blame Porsche :roll: ......I'm biased on this but can only pass on my real world experience......one of my best mates always wanted a Porsche.......he jumped in with a very very nice 997.1.........but then he 'found out" about bore score (despite me telling him years ago he had forgotten as model numbers are confusing to most people, he thought it only affected the 996).......anyway he simply could not get the idea out of his head that the car would go 'pop" at any time.......he got a bore score check done, no obvious problems, he put it in a Hartech maintenance plan......but it ruined the whole ownership experience and he sold the car after a year......he has never returned to Porsche......such a shame.....To me you have to have the right 'mindset" to knowingly go into .1 ownership......if you do then no problems....

....in this case you have to compare that ownership experience to owning an Insurance registered car.......I've never owned one but never really been in a position to seriously consider one and I can see the appeal of this as its been priced very well........its got some nice options (sport chrono and PSE) ........not sure why you think the paintwork is bad......looking at the pics its just a typical private sale where the car has not been 'prepped" like a dealer would ......the paint looks OK on the pics but you would need to see it in the flesh........it is a very tempting option which I guess is why you are looking at it......

If its close to you enough to travel I would go and have a look at it.....if you want to take it further get a PPI done like you would with any car .....ps check out the new tyre brand .....ideally they should be N rated or at least a premium brand........in principle assuming repaired well this should have no more risks than any car that 12 years old but without the 'worries" of a .1 car leaving you with a £10k+ bill :bandit:

Hi

Go see the Gen 2. It looks like a great proposition if the damage was not structural. You absolutely have to see the before pictures.

I have a 993 and Boxster 986 2.7. The 993 I never worry about engine wise even though its coming up to 200k miles.

The Boxster (130k miles) I changed the IMS on purchase, and even considered pulling the engine apart to change the chain ramps and main bearings. At the moment I am worried about the variocam actuators dumping green rubber into the engine, but I'm not sure the later 3 cam engines actually do that.

I'm also looking forwards to cutting oil filters open for however long I own the car for. Which will be a long time as I don't intend to sell it.

All the best

Berni

The Gen2 has black dials which could mean it is a3.6 not 3.8 as stated?

Re: Cheap Gen 2

jkhamler said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/911-997-...Year-2008-2009-model-year-manual/303588172245

Should I run a mile? What would you honestly offer for this car in the current market given the state of it - Cat S, poor bodywork, dodgy black wheels, etc. £18k?

Is it a 3.6 or a 3.8?

If it's a 3.6 your £18k bid would be about right.

The ad says 3824cc. If so, based on current private adverts for 'straight' cars I'd want that car for £20k, maybe £21k if the damage claims and everything else checks out ok.

For now it's probably your only way into a Gen2 'S' for under £25k so it's well worth a look.

Good Luck :thumb:

ps. The ad also says 350 hp which is confusing given the 3824cc also claimed. 3.6 was 350 hp, the 3.8 was 385. :dont know:

Cat "S" means it had structural damage but although that will always influence its value it might still have everything that matters in the right place.

Gen 1 might be a better options though.

Baz

[/quote]

Is it a 3.6 or a 3.8?
[/quote]

3.6, it's on Autotrader listed as a 3.6

It's a 3.6
History and private sale means full ppi needed imo.

Thanks all for your input - this forum is a great source of collective knowledge!

Alas I'm miles away down South so I'm not going to be able to inspect in person. Agreed that a PPI would be the only way to go.

This seems like a nice Gen 1 example - I love the colour and the seller inspires a lot more confidence to say the least...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912115240268

Just it could be at the pricey end for a non rebuilt Gen 1?

jkhamler said:
Thanks all for your input - this forum is a great source of collective knowledge!

Alas I'm miles away down South so I'm not going to be able to inspect in person. Agreed that a PPI would be the only way to go.

This seems like a nice Gen 1 example - I love the colour and the seller inspires a lot more confidence to say the least...

mmmm....its got shiney tyres :grin: ........plus points are PASM and upgraded headlights (Bi Xenon giveaway is the headlight washer) ............I thought radiatorS was plural......one looks new........the other doesn't :roll: .......pity they did not sort out the rust on the wheel arch whilst they where polishing the tyres :roll: ....but hey they "refreshed" (ie washed) the brake calipers :grin: ........I see the "sticky" buttons on the PCM are probably "they all do that sir, easy to fix" :roll: .........no fresh MOT offered .........but hey it drives better than any other they have ever had :thumb: .......gotta love a car salesman :wack:.......I wonder if they even know what a borescope is :dont know:

jkhamler said:

You could get a PPI arranged remotely, you don't have to be there until you've decided to buy?

I wouldn't be afraid at all with a Cat S car, in fact my C4S is too, and its a real peach. I've had it mostly apart and I and an ex OPC tech think its really solid. Just check out the details on the repair, and you should be fine. Mine also has an Autolign inspection certificate, that reclassifies it with HPI and other agencies.

I personally wouldn't buy a gen 1 unless its had an engine rebuild.

jkhamler said:
Hi all,

I do prefer the look and sound of the early models

The looks you can do less about but the sound is easy to change. I've just done mine, it sounds epic now, easily as good as any gen 1 I've heard.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back