Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Better exhaust note on 997.1 (non PSE)

Mike Driscoll

Apologies if there are loads of threads in this already but this is my first ever post as I'm new to this forum today
Pretty much decided on the gundo hack from PCW in Bedfordshire bur the wait is 6 months and I'm impatient
I was looking at the replacement designtek supremacy (non valved) mufflers but circa £500 plus fitting - but what if I don't like sound - I want standard sound until I put my foot down and definitely NO DRONE at constant speed
So cheapest starting point is gundo hack
I've just seen an interesting variation on that theme from a firm called CYBOX near Liverpool that uses a u-bend rather than a straight pipe insert like the rest.
Can't find any reviews on this company/solutions anywhere - pretty much same price as PCW and local and don't have to wait neatly as long!

:welcome: to 911uk

I've moved your post to the 997 sub-forum.

You're right about the amount of times that the 'Gundo hack' has been discussed. If you key the word 'Gundo' into the Search Forum function at the top right of the screen you'll get a long list of results.

It's not something I've ever looked at doing but from reading loads of threads on the subject I'm pretty certain that it's (a) the cheapest way of achieving what you want and (b) that there are loads of engineering firms out there that could the job for you without you having to wait 6 months.

Others will probably chip in on this thread with suggestions as to where but it may be worth asking the question on a separate along the lines of 'where can I get a Gundo hack done within xx miles of xxxxxxxxx?

Good Luck :thumb:

Mike welcome to the forum and hope your enjoying your 911 . here's my thoughts to your question .

I suggest you try and meet up with someone with a gundo as its popular but exhaust note is very personal and some like the note others don't. it is the cheapest way to do an exhaust mod and pipe diameter used does make a big difference to the note , pretty sure my mates is 1.75" pipe.

The other thing to consider and my preference to the gundo is topgear sports boxes they do a valved and non valved its stainless and freeflow so will add power while allowing you to store your originals or sell them and recoup some of the cost , topgear also offer a payment plan to spread the cost and also offer forum member 10% off their listed prices :thumb: so the valved unit is £900 with the discount

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-911-997-1-carrera-valved-cat-back

They do a non valved sport boxes with the tailpipes for around £787 with the forum discount .(if you dont like the design of the tailpipes in the pic have a chat with them I am sure they will sort an alternative option)

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-9...s-with-chrome-tailpipes?product_type=exhausts

If your 997 is a 3.6 non S topgear also have an exhaust for the M96 engine at £450 with the discount

https://www.topgear.co.uk/porsche-911-996-carrera-sports-cat-back?product_type=exhausts

So when you can buy a new stainless sports exhaust that will add power for those prices and they come with a lifetime you own the car warranty (thats how confident topgear are in the quality of there products ) why would you bother to gundo hack and destroy your OE exhaust that has a value either to be sold or kept and replaced the you sell the car . :thumb:

https://www.topgear.co.uk/index.php?route=product%2Fapplication_guide%2Fcategory&product_type=exhausts&price%5Bmin%5D=5.00&price%5Bmax%5D=5400.00&manufacturers%5B%5D=117&attributes%5B14%5D=Porsche&attributes%5B15%5D=911+(997)

Try doing a thread search on Topgear exhausts on here and see just how popular they are and what a good reputation they have with Forum members . I hope that gives you some food for thought . :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

also if you need it fitting Longlife exhausts and power flow exhausts are regional fitting franchise centres of the topgear brand so look up your local one to get it fitted . :thumb:

Thumbs up for Paul and PCW, not a lot of cash for a great effect, couldn't be more pleased for what is in effect a PSE permanently switched on. What's not to like? And he will replace some of the rusted bolts too. This is how the car was supposed to sound, and still the sensible side of things, a bit naughty but not boy racer.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back