Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bent spindle on front strut?

Jeffgo

Gents: On my 1973.5 911T; after installing the RSR front bushings, setting the front ride height to 25.5" on both sides (from floor to bottom of fender lip), and setting the toe, I have noticed that it still pulls to the left moderately. So I pulled down my carpenters square, laid one edge on the floor and stood the other edge up alongside the tire to measure the difference in space from the top sidewall to the bottom sidewall. On the left side, I measured about -1.4 degrees of camber, and on the right, -2.1 degrees. So, about 0.7 degrees of difference. To check I laid down behind the rear wheels and sighted down to the front wheels, and the right wheel appears to lean in more than the left.

No problem, I'll just adjust the top plates at the top of the struts. However, when I pulled back the frunk carpet, I saw that the right plate was already adjusted as far out as it could go (close to the fender), and the left side was adjusted as far in as it could go (away from the fender). It appears that the PO had already tried to get the left and right side camber as close as possible, but it still wasn't enough.

Was the front of the car bent or twisted? I didn't notice anything obvious when I pulled it all apart to put in the RSR bushings, but I measured the distance from the floor to the ends of the aluminum crossmember, and they are within 1/16". My garage floor is pretty flat, but it's not perfect, so 1/16" is probably as close as I can measure. I looked around the frunk and under the front clip, and I don't see any buckling of the panels and the hood fits reasonably well with the same gap from front to back on both sides (considering I have fiberglass fenders).

I noodled on it for a day, and thought that maybe the right spindle got bent upward from a hard pothole or curb hit. I then jacked up the car and stuck some blocks of wood between the tire and the upper part of the strut to check the clearance. Sure enough, I had about 3/16" more clearance on the left side than the right side. So it does appear that the right side spindle is bent up a couple degrees.

I know the spindle is pretty stout, so let me ask any of you who have experience with seeing bent spindles, or lots of experience and not seen bent spindles. Is this something you have seen, or is it unheard of?

Thanks.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back