Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bad back with Manual Sports seats

Mike Att

My hard back manual sports seats which are the same as shown below are giving me a bad lower back after an hours drive, has anyone else had this problem and found a solution without changing the seats?

holbert15_545407abf9c623ef1944ab145db93e2aa475c98e.jpg

May not be the ideal situation but you could get an inflatable lumbar support off of Amazon and try that. I had a BMW 420 which was incredibly uncomfortable (I have had 2 prolapsed discs previously) and I managed to fit it in the seat behind the fabric. I don’t know if that is possible with your seats, but you can get one with a Velcro band to hold it onto the seat. Not the original equipment look, but if it solves the achy back?

dont change the seat as leather is always a good option, as mentioned it's a lumber issue, which can be improved with inflatable supports

Have you got a link to a specific inflatable lumber support you've seen used?

How do you sit? There's a good chance you have a bad posture. You may need to try sitting more upright and closer to the wheel. My mate sits in his beamer with his seat that far back you're almost led out. I think he thinks he's Pedro de la Rosa sitting like this. Does nothing but moan about his back though.

Have a good read of this and see if you can get any pointers:

Or maybe go the less sophisticated route of a foam roll - has been effective for me in the past in non-Porsche cars.

Attachments

• d-shape-roll-mckenzie.jpg
    d-shape-roll-mckenzie.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
The key part is the angle between your thigh and spine - the greater this is the lower the intervertebral disc pressure in your lower spine.
Standing = 180 degrees (lowest pressure)
Sitting with bent legs and very upright seat = 75 degrees (highest pressure).

Adjust your seat to try and maximise this angle. Which normally means raising seat, pulling steering wheel fully out and driving with as extended legs as safe / possible.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back