Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aston vanquish?

Gazc2

Magny-Cours
So I have been mulling over the 2013 onwards vanquish didn't know untill recently the early ones have a 6 speed box 2014 onwards the 8speed and a few upgrades and wondered anyone here tried one?

Liked this from the Queensferry meet last week

[/list]

Attachments

• img_20220508_101256_100.jpg
    img_20220508_101256_100.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2,050
  • img_20220508_101256_100.jpg
    img_20220508_101256_100.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2,049
  • img_20220508_103139_132.jpg
    img_20220508_103139_132.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2,050
  • img_20220508_103139_132.jpg
    img_20220508_103139_132.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2,050
they are quite nice to drove with the big engine, good GT from my experiences but can't comment on the ownership experience, as they aren't as robust as Porsche

The Aston Martin Vanquish has gained a number of revisions and improvements for its 2015 model year.

The most significant change comes in the form of Aston's new Touchtronic III eight-speed automatic gearbox. While the 5.9-litre V12's power is up marginally – climbing 3bhp to 568bhp – the new transmission can likely take most claim for a half-second improvement in 0-60 time, the new car boasting a claimed 3.6-second sprint, making it the quickest accelerating series production Aston Martin in the company's 101-year history.

Changes in the final gear ratios mean that the Vanquish is now capable of topping 200mph, too, a 201mph top speed a healthy 18mph up on the Vanquish it replaces. Fuel economy has also improved by around ten per cent, with a claimed 22.1mpg average.

Multiple gearbox modes range from 'Drive' to 'Paddle Shift Sport', while multi-ratio downshifts are available by pulling and holding the downshift paddle, the car selecting the lowest available gear, while Adaptive Drive Recognition (ADR) tailors shift points based on driving style. Elsewhere, there's an update for the suspension, with new dampers that are 15 per cent stiffer at the front, and 35 per cent stiffer at the rear. The price is up £3000, the Vanquish now kicking off at £192,995.

The Vanquish is not the only car to benefit from these improvements, with the Rapide S saloon getting similar upgrades, including that new gearbox. Its 0-60 time also drops half a second, to 4.2 seconds, while it's quicker than the Vanquish, posting a 203mph top speed. Prices start at £147,950.

As per usual with a facelift, the cars gain new colours, interior trim and alloy wheels.

The last owner of my current car now has one of those. We are in touch regularly and he has been on euro trips and some track days in both cars now.

He said the turbo s feels much sharper and a bit more powerful. He also said that the vanquish is not nearly as forgiving but perhaps it's because it new to him.

Pretty sure his is 2015 plate.

Really need to try one appreciate it's a different animal from my turbo it's a big car but so are the 991 etc the DBS seem to have nicer seats interiors, the vanquish quilted hookers handbag stitching looks a bit naff depending on the colour scheme I like the red with plain tan/sand.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202204074415217?atmobcid=soc3

A friend has a Vanquish S. Its a wonderful thing, a real occasion to travel in. It may lack the competence of a modern 911, but its got bags of character, and a V12 that sounds amazing.

It's been very reliable apart from a boot release catch fault.

Robertb said:
A friend has a Vanquish S. Its a wonderful thing, a real occasion to travel in. It may lack the competence of a modern 911, but its got bags of character, and a V12 that sounds amazing.

It's been very reliable apart from a boot release catch fault.

I thought they stopped doing the v12 except for a new exclusive model that is special order. (All what I was told by the bloke who sold me my turbo s and bought a vanquish - so could be wrong of course).

Possibly he's confused with the the old NA V12 which has been phased out... the V12 in the DBS and DB11 etc is a twin turbo AMG one.

The Vanquish is no longer in production.

Robertb said:
Possibly he's confused with the the old NA V12 which has been phased out... the V12 in the DBS and DB11 etc is a twin turbo AMG one.

Ah, yes must be that.
:thumb:

Having owned nothing but Porsche for the last 15 years, excluding an Abarth 595 that I owned shortly during lock down, I decided on a change.

That said I was still keeping GT4, 996, 964 & Cayenne so not leaving the brand.

The challenge for me was that 911 aside there are not many 4 seat GT's available, (I say 4 seats the rears are only suitable for a child which is what I need).

After looking at 911, Maserati GT, California etc I decided to dip my toe in the water with a DB9, which is not a Vanquish but uses the same running gear and is a similar car.

I expected it to be a novelty which would wear off and I would move back into a 911, however I am now also looking to change to a Vanquish.

The Aston is a very different car, its an out and out GT, while the 911 is a sports car, expecting it to handle or perform like a 911 or even comparing it to such is not a good place to start. - The Vantage is more akin to a 911.

V12 is glorious, provides the theater that a Porsche cannot, straight-line performance is good once wound up, handing is surprisingly good from a turn in perspective, once turned in you can feel the weight of the car which is a downside, however its nowhere near as barge like as I expected.

Aston provides more of a sense of occasion even as a daily.

The V12 is very reliable from an engine standpoint, been used in various iterations of AM's for many years.

The 8 speed box is an improvement over the 6, I have the 6, if you have ever driven a 6 speed Cayenne and an 8 speed Cayenne the change is very similar.

Running costs are higher, servicing and parts are more expensive and everything take longer due to Aston taking a form over function approach to manufacturing. - As an example, to change a headlight bulb, the wheel, wheel arch liner and airbox need to be removed for access.

That said so far it has been 100% reliable with no issues.

I would say go for it :thumb:

Gazc2 said:
Really need to try one appreciate it's a different animal from my turbo it's a big car but so are the 991 ...

The Vanquish is nearly 8.5 inches longer and an inch wider than a 991 Turbo. It's 10.5 inches longer and just over 2 inches wider than your 997T so you're right. :wink:

NB: The 991 isn't as big as many think. It just looks a lot bigger than a 997 because of the longer wheelbase.

"2 inches wider than your 997T" well that`s not going to fit in the garage without losing some of that lovely carbon fibre body :hand:

Robertb said:

Add me to the list of confused people as I wasn't aware AMG made the V12 for Aston Martin. I thought they just did the V8s.

I confused myself! The current V12 is an Aston engine, but turbocharged.

The DB11 is turbocharged.

But the Vanquish (and my DB9) use Cosworth designed v12's.

Up to 1996 Cosworth assembled the engine, but after a few issues with the quality of Cosworths workmanship, Aston took over the assembly of the engine and since then they have been pretty much bomb proof with some cars reporting over 260,000 miles without issue.

Les said:
The DB11 is turbocharged.

But the Vanquish (and my DB9) use Cosworth designed v12's.

Up to 1996 Cosworth assembled the engine, but after a few issues with the quality of Cosworths workmanship, Aston took over the assembly of the engine and since then they have been pretty much bomb proof with some cars reporting over 260,000 miles without issue.

The Aston still providing you sterling service Les :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back