Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone know what these Fobs are for

Philip S

Trainee
The attached fobs (which contain a battery and on pressing emit a red light) came with my 991 but I am not clear on what they are for.
Previous owner never used them and suggested it maybe for the Porsche Tracker but I am not sure as there is no Porsche logo's on them plus had trackers on my Porsche's before (this one is specced with it) but not aware you get a fob to turn it on/off as sort of defeats the idea of it.

My guess is its an additional aftermarket alarm of some kind
Anyone seen similar before?

Attachments

• img_15791_163.jpg
    img_15791_163.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,418
They look very similar to my 997 tracker fobs so expect they are the 991 version.
They won't have Porsche logos as dealer fit

Tracker fobs. I had to activate it via Vodafone as insurers insisted.

Yep, for the Porsche VTS :thumb:

Slayer said:
Great thanks for confirming and that makes sense as in the build spec it has VTS. Odd you can switch it on and off (assuming that's what the fobs are for). Will keep safe as no need to use on my side for Insurance plus not the cheapest subscription anyway or when compared to other aftermarket alternatives which I have had previously.

Philip S said:
Slayer said:
Great thanks for confirming and that makes sense as in the build spec it has VTS. Odd you can switch it on and off (assuming that's what the fobs are for). Will keep safe as no need to use on my side for Insurance plus not the cheapest subscription anyway or when compared to other aftermarket alternatives which I have had previously.

It's a nuisance as well carrying it around :grin:

This is indeed a porsche VTS fob and as such you have this system fitted ... i used to fit them .

Its an option from new but once fitted unlike the previous incarnations it becomes an active control unit that every time the car is asked to start ( you turn the ign key ) the engine control unit asks this if it is allowed to start the car .

forget the subscription .. active or not this is the process .

9/10 people never have an issue with a non subscribed VTS fitted to their car .

Occasionally .. usually after a flat battery this unit will go live and stop the car from starting .. as mentioned 9/10 people with have no issue even when this happens .. but it can .. that's a recovery job to an OPC , a replacement of the unit then coded off via them and vodafone to enable the car to start again .

there is also a separate issue with alarm sirens causing a non start which i have posted about here before .. you'll need to search for that though as i don't remember the link for it .

Either way .. for piece of mind .. if you are never going to use this item then perhaps get it coded off .. you'll need an OPC for this and it probably won't be that cheap knowing them but its for what if ?

Think of it this way .. you are working on your office PC .. mid work you unplug the PC .. you lose work , it may not restart correctly .. you will have issues ..

Thats a VTS possibly after a flat battery .

it's a rare fault .. i have seen it and answered questions from people around the world when this has gone active so i can only suggest .. it might be best to get a quote to have it removed just in case .

it can't be wiring bypassed like the earlier variants .. this is a control unit im afraid .

i work for an indy .. vodafone won't really talk to us so generating work is not the point of this ... a breakdown .. possibility if you are unlucky is .

Its doubtful you will have an issue but it is possible hence im pointing it out .

Philip S said:
Slayer said:

As others have said it's the Vodafone / Porsche VTS fobs. The button on the fobs don't switch the tracker on / off. If the system is active with a subscription, one of the fobs would need to be in the car prior to starting the vehicle.

My understanding of how the system works (I could be wrong but have only just subscribed myself) - the car can still be started and driven away without the fob, but this would trigger the tracker and then the monitoring team call you to see if you're aware of the vehicle movement. They can therefore disable and locate the vehicle if they can't contact you.

C320 said:
My understanding of how the system works (I could be wrong but have only just subscribed myself) - the car can still be started and driven away without the fob, but this would trigger the tracker and then the monitoring team call you to see if you're aware of the vehicle movement. They can therefore disable and locate the vehicle if they can't contact you.

Spot on but they can't disable the car until the engine has been switched off .. they will then stop it from restarting .. this is vodafone .

The reason they can't just engine kill it is it might hurt the poor darlings that have stolen your pride and joy . Best if i don't comment further on this other than ...

Certain countrys deal differently with theft than we do .. not sure if i disagree with these countrys !

deMort said:
C320 said:

Spot on but they can't disable the car until the engine has been switched off .. they will then stop it from restarting .. this is vodafone .

The reason they can't just engine kill it is it might hurt the poor darlings that have stolen your pride and joy . Best if i don't comment further on this other than ...

Certain countrys deal differently with theft than we do .. not sure if i disagree with these countrys !

Thanks DeMort - appreciate your insight and for clarifying how it works. I believe this may well be a regulatory / safety issue to ensure a car isn't disabled in a live lane of a motorway or a busy junction etc. Annoying but useful to know how it works. I seem to recall that Ghost works differently in that the car can be disabled when the car comes to a complete stop.

I have these, well I have one now as other one took a trip in the washing machine . My Insurance made me activate it . £260 a year , pain in the arse as need to remember to take it everywhere. Forgot it on Sunday morning in the way to the roll shop and vodaphone called me instantly asking me if car had been stolen or false alarm . Automated message thing . So at least I know it works . Also received multiple texts messages and the porcshe app on my phone let me know too

This came with my 991. It is a great system, particularly for people who park their cars on the drive. If you go away on holiday, you won't know you car's bern stolen until you get home. With this system Vodafone call you if the engine is started without the fob present and can then track the car etc

Just picking up on this thread as I collected my 2014 C4S 991.1 today and have no idea how to contact Vodafone to activate the tracker. I've tried googling Vodafone tracker / telematics / VTS and Porsche but can't find the contact details - could anyone direct me to the correct website or phone number please?

Thanks!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back