Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

AIR CON RADIATORS FAILED??

Johnpor996

I bought my 996 in March when the weather was cool, tried to test the aircon it wasn't obvious whether it is working or not. When the weather got warmer I could tell it wasn't working so had it recharged, but it is definitely not working now.

I took the front end off today day to clean out the radiator area and check the aircon condensers and there is what appears to be staining on both condensers, see picture. There wasn't a huge amount of muck in the radiator area, the car has been in the dry for weeks so what looks like damp spots on the condensers can't be damp or water. I assume it is a sign that the condensers are broken down but advice would be welcome!

I assume these are quite pricey if you buy originals, hopefully do some good aftermarket ones??

Attachments

• p1030101_137.jpg
    p1030101_137.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,004
Very common fault on these. You can pick up a decent set for around £90 and a drier for around £12 and fit them yourself, then bob down your local kwikfit for a regas. Doddle of a job to do once the bumper's off.

Get looking on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223489193395

Thanks for the reply, one thing please, dryer is a additional item?

Yes. Its also known as a desicator. Its a metal can the bolts into the system where the input valves are, next to the battery. It soaks up any moisture in the system and slows down the internal rotting of the metal parts.

I just did this, super easy job. Drier was dated 1999 so overdue a change!

Design911 do a nice kit including the o-rings, meyle condensers and drier.

Make sure you get the orings for the condensers and the orings for the drier.

Also need a little bit of ac oil to dip the orings in.

Easy enough job....but can jump up a bit in effort and cost if you run into problems with rusted fasteners etc.

Also make sure:

You get it degassed by kwik fit or whoever...do no open any connections until done. Opening before can cause serious accidents and is bad for environment.

You tell them what parts you replaced when you regas...as they will need to top up oil

Cheers, K

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back