Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A/C not blowing cold but refrigerant is full?

:floor:

I've got the larger of the two pipe off, the one I suspected was the leaker, I guessed correctly.

It was initially a struggle to get the joint under the sill undone, the allen key was slightly loose due to the bolt head being corroded and it was really tight, I heat cycled it a few time and eventually it cracked and luckily there was no corrosion between the bolt and aluminium threads of the joint.

I found 3 spots where the powdercoat had lifted slightly so I scraped it off in those areas and rubbed them all back to the alloy. Using the UV torch I was able to identify the actual places it was leaking, only one section was showing up as leaking.
The corrosion is so small but it is obviously thin enough for the refrigerant to be weeping through the metal pipe. You wouldn't know it was leaking with the naked eye but the dye showing up green is the giveaway.

I'm going to drop it off to get it repaired, I'll update how I get on with that once I get it back.

Got my pipe back, repaired and pressure tested, £114, there was a total of nine points on the pipe where the powder coat had been compromised but luckily only this one point where the corrosion had gone through.

I have painted all the bare aluminium with a thick coat of Hammerite and then coated both pipes front to rear where they are exposed with the same.

I was surprised how badly pitted the pipes were just under the front wheel arch liner, I gave that area an extra coat.

I have now fitted everything back together with new O rings, stainless bolts and a new dryer and will get it re-gassed once I have an MOT.

Have you priced up that pipe at OPC recently Chris? I paid £120 for mine a few years ago.

These are the prices before discount currently, they jumped a lot in the last few months. This is including vat.....

996 573 091 02 Intake pipe (large) 166.58

996 573 092 03 pressure line 140.00

999 707 252 41 O-ring 17X2 X2 5.09

999 707 434 41 O-ring 10,6X2 X2 5.43

I have done that a few times, I keep saying I must stop looking on design911 for price guides, but keep doing so.

I thought I better post the prices in case someone else searches in future.

I'm sure/hope you don't mind?

I find if you want to get a good idea online of OPC prices on parts, check rosepassion.com as everytime I've bought from OPC, rose passion have been virtually the same price.

Worth knowing.

I used to use them, then in 2021 they changed how they deal with UK orders, so stopped, but will look at their prices in future.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back