Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Newbie Questions

Hi all, I recently bought a 997.1 to replace my written off 996, and I'm loving it!

A couple of questions though!

Firstly, did they come with Cruise Control as standard? I can't seem to find it on my car but had assumed they all had it (my 996 did) - if not, is it an easy retrofit and how expensive is it?

Also, it came with one original key fob and a replacement key that unlocks and starts the car but has no fob - how do I go about buying another fob key?

Sometimes it refuses to lock from the fob, is this a fault or am I doing something wrong? it works most times, light on the fob works every time, just some times it does nothing.

I believe cruise control is listed as 'Automatic Speed Control' under option code 454. VIN sticker in the service manual will list all options on your vehicle.

As a former 996 owner I looked for the sticker under the bonnet but that's long been deleted!

I don't think cruise control was standard.
I had it retrofitted by the dealer I brought mine from.
You need the stalk and a software coding.

Not too expensive and worth it in my opinion.

Cheers,
Iain

wasn't standard. Its a 2nd stalk on the right of the steering wheel. it's actually not that common an option as far as I can tell. Mine has it and it's well worth it if you do much motorway driving.

It wasn't even standard on a £98k 997 Turbo.

Lots of cars don't have it even though it was only a £294 option, mainly I think because people buying new assumed it would be standard.

iirc Retro fitting costs about £400

Porsche or an indy will be able to sort out a key with the remote head. Try a new battery on your current one.

Robert SausageTrousers said:
Thanks all, that's a shame, I definitely need it so will have to have it retrofitted.

Does anyone know about the key issue?

Robert , If you looking at new fobs I would deffinaitly suggest you look at getting gen2 fobs they are better and the raised bit that keeps unlocking your bonnet when in your pocket is a better design on the gen2 fob .member elliot_holder had the gen2 opens for sale and also a how to change it over from the gen1 drop him a PM :thumb:

re the cruise , if your into DIY then heres a used stalk set you should just need to get that coded at the opc which would be about £60/80 so its inline with Terrys est of £400 to retro fit and these units when they come up for sale are usually around this money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-...868832?hash=item3f5f6c3da0:g:ZtcAAOSwZtJW8rRi

Thanks very much, good tip!

Here's another silly question - Every time I stop and restart the car the temp setting on the climate control returns to 21deg, is this a fault or do they all do that?

Thanks all, that's a shame, I definitely need it so will have to have it retrofitted.

Does anyone know about the key issue?

When I bought my 997 turbo the first thing I had retro fitted was cruise control, as in my previous cars I used it all the time.

Cost £480 including all the parts for my local indi to fit.

However, strangely enough I seem to seldom use it! Not sure why! Maybe I find it easier to keep a constant speed easier than previous cars. Still its handy to have it. Its another stalk on the RH side of the wheel, matching the computer stalk on the LH side.

OPC was £400 inc when they fitted mine.

A/C is probably memory function. My 997.2 can do that.

Here's another silly question - Every time I stop and restart the car the temp setting on the climate control returns to 21deg, is this a fault or do they all do that?

deMort , Iain will be able to confirm but that question has been asked before and think its something to do with auto settings that need to be turned off. certainly its not a normal function and can be adjusted or fixrd :thumb:

Just in case you find the bits :thumb: I have the retrofit procedure in a pdf, cant post it here the file is to big,

Phil 997 said:

deMort , Iain will be able to confirm but that question has been asked before and think its something to do with auto settings that need to be turned off. certainly its not a normal function and can be adjusted or fixrd :thumb:

Im a bit rusty on this to be honest .. its either in the handbook on how to deactivate it or its done useing a tester so a garage needs to do it .. i agree its a pain but start with the handbook .

Cruise control was an option and not that popular .. if you want it get a quote from an indy.

Ok I've found in the settings on the PCM how to stop the temp from staying at 21deg - next problem is that I can't turn it off 'auto' - the button doesn't do anything, again is this me doing something wrong or a problem with the climate control unit?

Also, i'm going to put a new head unit in to bring the car into the 21st century, I'm assuming i'll loose all the functionality of the original unit (i.e. being able to change the cars settings etc) - will this cause problems in future, has anyone else here changed head units and have you found it problematic?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shofwan_khilmi
Back