Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 G1 Upgraded heat Shields .

deMort

Monaco
I was asked to review these and so i have given my honest opinion along with minor alteration details below .

On arrival they were well packaged with plenty of bubble wrap , little chance of transit damage i feel .

A nice touch was the bolts are also supplied .. stainless steel like the covers .

They are far sturdier than i was expecting with a fair bit of weight to them , not heavier as such from the originals but more so that no creased ridges would be required to strengthen as they are certainly rigid enough .

These are compared to an almost new set of the original covers .. a fair way to show the differences i feel , there is also new type coils fitted to this car on No. 1 and No. 6 cylinders .

On first fitting it was apparent the bolts are slightly too long so i used a couple of washers , strangely enough the original shields fitted had exactly the same bolts fitted and these also had washers fitted.

Dave will be supplying slightly shorter bolts going forward although it does seem that some models this size fits , as i've only so far had the one car to test on then i expect there is a difference on the models or perhaps the years ...

A minor detail and its still nice to actually have the bolts supplied .

The heat shields fitted well over the mix of coils , the bolt holes are slightly larger giving a small amount of adjustment , considering the larger type coils hit at the top then this gives a bit of wiggle room .

Clearance at the base was slightly larger than the standard shields .. it meant i could see the coils more easily , a slight bending of the base would close this gap although its not really needed ..

Again Dave is going to do this going forward .. it makes them identical to the original this way and i did say i would be a hard reviewer to him !

N/S/R was interesting , on the original heat shields they foul on the rear fixing , it means us mechanics have to bend the shield slightly to remove them , these shields slide in and out with no issues .. an improvement .

N/S/R had a slight location issue on the front where by it touched the cam cover and reduced the adjustment possible , not a real problem and Dave is going to give a bit more clearance going forward ... again a minor issue .

Over all ..

The clearance over the coils is slightly larger than the standard ones , the N/S clears the fixing so no bending is required , minor adjustments will be made going forward with only the bolts being an issue for me which again will be addressed .

I will test on other cars as and when i can , i'll add to this post in due time but over all ..

Im impressed with the quality and the willingness to make the improvements mentioned when to be fair it's just me picking up on minor details .

There was no payment given for this and i tested and reported as diligently as possible .

Right click on any image and view in a new tab ( Chrome ) for a larger image .

Contact Taylor997 for more information .

Attachments

• old_and_new_coils_fitted_both_sides_966.jpg
    old_and_new_coils_fitted_both_sides_966.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 2,129
  • cam_cover_fouling_962.jpg
    cam_cover_fouling_962.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 2,129
  • installed_4_208.jpg
    installed_4_208.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 2,129
  • installed_3_149.jpg
    installed_3_149.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 2,129
  • installed_2_505.jpg
    installed_2_505.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 2,129
  • installed_1_195.jpg
    installed_1_195.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 2,129
  • comparison_2_655.jpg
    comparison_2_655.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 2,129
  • comparison_1_563.jpg
    comparison_1_563.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 2,129
Great review. I was literally just contemplating buying some, subject to me getting the old ones undone.

great review but not sure i see the need arent genuine heat shields cheap as chips and last about 10 years or longer if no winter use ?

paul porsche said:
great review but not sure i see the need arent genuine heat shields cheap as chips and last about 10 years or longer if no winter use ?

Don't know about the parts alone but the supply and fit price was around £95 at a main dealer last week so I didn't get them changed. Will try doing it myself.

Cheers for the review Iain much appreciated.
I made them as I use my 997 as a daily drive and like to keep the underside as clean as the rest of the outer body. At the same cost as the oem parts just thought I'd provide the option for the people that would like it.

I just bought some. Not fitted yet, but a nice little job to do at some point over winter.
Thanks to taylor997 for supplying.

Taylor997 said:
Cheers for the review Iain much appreciated.
I made them as I use my 997 as a daily drive and like to keep the underside as clean as the rest of the outer body. At the same cost as the oem parts just thought I'd provide the option for the people that would like it.

ah that makes sense if they are a similar price and better qulity - that was the bit i didnt understand - makes sense now

Typical. Only managed to get 1 removed. The offside one has a bolt that seems less accessible.

The standard ones are a sandwich construction with two outer plies and some kind of insulation in between, to maximise its performance as a heatshield.

It looks like the aftermarket one is single leaf stainless?

The original shields are 2 thin sheets of metal joined together with added grooves for strengthening , no insulation material that i'm aware of .. these are a single sheet of stainless steel .

Images of how they arrived ..

Attachments

• unwrapped_1_100.jpg
    unwrapped_1_100.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 1,724
  • unwrapped_180.jpg
    unwrapped_180.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 1,724
TurboRob said:
The standard ones are a sandwich construction with two outer plies and some kind of insulation in between, to maximise its performance as a heatshield.

It looks like the aftermarket one is single leaf stainless?

Yes you're right the oem part is double skinned but nothing clinched inside (apart from rust) as they are to reflect heat not absorb heat.

Attachments

• dbe3ab6b_0a1e_46cc_90b4_40a3e86b8b05_131.jpeg
    dbe3ab6b_0a1e_46cc_90b4_40a3e86b8b05_131.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,661
  • 530e5cf1_1124_4f68_9e2d_f2de42b5193d_416.jpeg
    530e5cf1_1124_4f68_9e2d_f2de42b5193d_416.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,661
Was sure mine had some kind of fibrous insulation ply hanging out of one when I replaced but perhaps it was just what was left of the metal skins! I stand corrected.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back