Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Manual Gear box

I've got the same thing.
I think some of it is due to the way you shift from 1st to 2nd.
When you make that change, you tend to change up earlier than you would normally in the higher gears (typically about 2000 rpm).
I've found if you keep the car in 1st until the normal change up point of 3000-4000 rpm, it works better.
I do also take a slow change, by letting the lever slip in to neutral which seems to help when cold.

"When you make that change, you tend to change up earlier than you would normally in the higher gears (typically about 2000 rpm).
I've found if you keep the car in 1st until the normal change up point of 3000-4000 rpm, it works better."

Agreed - funnily I have started doing this also and it does help. Still going to flush the oil as it will bound to help!

I have a 997.2 C4S manual and shifting into first when cold (and I live in Helsinki) was always a bit challenging with the standard shifter. I switched to a GT3 shifter which seemed to improve things somewhat.

Have the short shift kit on my 997.1T and it was tough to slot into second when cold, same story with my old 996T, however they always warm up and become fluid albeit quite bolt action, however I had the gearbox oil changed today and it was a pleasant surprise, car went into second when cold a lot smoother.

Could be worth changing as part of your next maintenance :thumb:

I have it booked in to get the gearbox oil refreshed next week to a synthetic one. I will report back! :thumbs:

Refreshed the gearbox oil for a synthetic one. Slightly better - but the warmer mornings are making the most difference!

My shift into second seems to have gotten worse when cold since an oil change, I'm using 'Millers Oils Motorsport CRX 75w-90 NT+ Nanodrive Fully Synthetic Transmission Oil'

I had assumed new oil would improve the situation, but I wonder if the logic works the other way - that newer oil is more resistant to heat breaking it down?

That certainly seems the case with the engine oil change, it takes a bit longer to warm up

kp278 said:
My shift into second seems to have gotten worse when cold since an oil change, I'm using 'Millers Oils Motorsport CRX 75w-90 NT+ Nanodrive Fully Synthetic Transmission Oil'

I had assumed new oil would improve the situation, but I wonder if the logic works the other way - that newer oil is more resistant to heat breaking it down?

That certainly seems the case with the engine oil change, it takes a bit longer to warm up
Wrong oil. Use Mobil PTX 75w-90

Noting The Mobil1 is hard to find outside of 20l containers, I researched the specs and ended up using Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75W90.

This is also a "GL4.5" spec oil and is within a few % of the Mobilube PTX 75W-90 specs:

MOBILUBE PTX 75W-90 / Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90 / %age

cSt @ 100ºC 14.5 / 14.9 / 2.8
cSt @ 40º C 77.6 / 81 / 4.4
Viscosity Index 195 / 194 / -0.5
Flash Point, ºC 226 / 205 / -9.3
Pour Point, ºC -60 / -45 / -25.0
Density kg/m3 849 / 879/ 3.5

Porsche East London said they'd use 00004330548 - which a Google suggests is Fuchs TITAN SINTOPOID SAE 75W-90 which has close specs - but not as close as the Shell. I paid £21.75/l for the Shell btw.

kp278 said:

Fully synthetic is seemingly 'too" slippery for older gearboxes whose synchros, baulk rings and shift sleeves are most likely worn. The fully synthetic oil effectively reduces the effect of the synchro hubs and makes shifting more difficult.

Motul do do suitable oils for the gearbox, one fully synthetic, the other semi synthetic.

Fully synthetic :
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-899-mo...tic-racing-transmission-differential-oil.aspx

Semi synthetic :
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-897-mo...nosynthese-transmission-differential-oil.aspx

Note it states 'Specially recommended for gearboxes hard to shift and/or noisy gearboxes'.

I changed the 20 year old, 60k Miles OE oil in my 996 C2 gearbox a month ago, for the semi synthetic Motul and noticed an overall improvement. The gearbox is easier to shift when cold, and is easier to shift normally, sooner (ie it normal shifting happens sooner after a cold start) and the shift is generally smoother and the transmission quieter overall.

Hmmmm.... noted. I went with the Millers after reading about it on this forum. I'll see how I get on with it, only driven it twice since the service.

kp278 said:
Hmmmm.... noted. I went with the Millers after reading about it on this forum. I'll see how I get on with it, only driven it twice since the service.

For the record, the difference was noticeable immediately ... as in within the five minutes of driving with the new oil in the transmission.

Slippydiff said:
kp278 said:

For the record, the difference was noticeable immediately ... as in within the five minutes of driving with the new oil in the transmission.

Thanks, I meant I'll see how much it bothers me seeing as I've just paid a garage to drop £50 worth of oil into my gearbox!

Seems to be fine now, I creep it upto 3k rpm before changing and no issues, also I'm sure the warmer weather is helping with that.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back