Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 4s pdk 2011 not cranking

flatstick

Monza
Hi All,

Bit an odd first post. Bought a 997.2 4S PDK cabriolet back in January 2022 with a 2 year Auto Guard warranty from the other end of the country.

Had the car checked over by my indie when I got it home and the car was spot on, apart from a weeping coolant pipe which was replaced with no issues under warranty. Used the car as normal for a few weeks then came to use the car and it wouldn't crank over. Spoke to my indie and he said it may have gone to sleep and to lock and unlock it using the key in the door. I did this but I don't know if this worked out of coincidence or through this but it worked as normal. Drove it all weekend, doing a few hundred miles stopping and starting and around town with no issues. Left it for 3 days and it hasn't started since.

Have been unable to get it into the local OPC but my indie has been fitting it in between jobs as he is snowed under and 6 weeks in I still don't have it back. Luckily I have been busy and haven't really needed it! He has checked starter motor, starter relays, ignition switch and wiring. He seems to think it could maybe a VTS issue which is inactive or, a DME which he says may have to go to OPC. There are no faults with the car, it just will not crank and I think he said he can't get power to one of the relays, maybe number 2. I wonder if anybody else has had a similar issues.

Many thanks,

Dean

yes i have seen similar but on G1 997 .. if the car doesn't Crank then the VTS is highly suspect .

It's about 30 mins to bypass it but i dont explain that on here as this is still a current system for people unlike the 996 tracker system .

If you or your Indy wants to email me i will explain how to bypass it along with a picture showing the wires .

[email protected]

If not tonight then i'll be back tomorrow from 7 PM.

Just a caveat .. if i get an email from someone NOT on these forums or with less than 5 posts .. i will NOT explain how to disable this system .

deMort said:
yes i have seen similar but on G1 997 .. if the car doesn't Crank then the VTS is highly suspect .

It's about 30 mins to bypass it but i dont explain that on here as this is still a current system for people unlike the 996 tracker system .

If you or your Indy wants to email me i will explain how to bypass it along with a picture showing the wires .

[email protected]

If not tonight then i'll be back tomorrow from 7 PM.

Just a caveat .. if i get an email from someone NOT on these forums or with less than 5 posts .. i will NOT explain how to disable this system .

Thanls very much
Dean

Hi All,

Just a quick update. Thanks for all the advice and especially DeMort.

The VTS has been disconnected and has made no difference so the car is going in to South Lakes Porsche today to be looked at asap. A possible DME failure? Let's hope we can get it back soon and hope to use it.

All wiring has been checked and relays, starter motor, ignition switch and nothing found.

Dean

I'm sorry i couldn't help more .. it seems a bit strange atm that there is no signal from the dme to activate the relay .. that's almost an alarm immobiliser issue .. on a cab then i would go with the control unit under the passenger's seat has got wet !

Keep me informed please as im interested in knowing what the issue is .. and if i can give any advise going forwards .

Edit .. erm .. just noticed you have a cab :oops: didn't realise this as the topic went from vts to it doesn't start ...

Just pull the carpet up behind the passenger's seat and make sure its not dripping wet please .

deMort said:
I'm sorry i couldn't help more .. it seems a bit strange atm that there is no signal from the dme to activate the relay .. that's almost an alarm immobiliser issue .. on a cab then i would go with the control unit under the passenger's seat has got wet !

Keep me informed please as im interested in knowing what the issue is .. and if i can give any advise going forwards .

Edit .. erm .. just noticed you have a cab :oops: didn't realise this as the topic went from vts to it doesn't start ...

Just pull the carpet up behind the passenger's seat and make sure its not dripping wet please .

Was 1st thing i checked when i went to view the car as had watched a few tube vids and thats what they said to check as the drains and seals need to be in good order and all bone dry, but thats not to say its never got wet in its life. Strassa at leeds have just posted a pic on twitter of a boxter rear control box and it's scrap where it has had water ingress.
This the only fault but guess it would have to start somewhere if water has got in somewhere.

Dean

And it's back at last! Have been all round the houses with it and it turns out it is where we all started at the brake interlock switch!!! Now to get on holiday in it.......

Attachments

• c70a19b1_0fe0_43ea_a866_ac61bca6f874_145.jpeg
    c70a19b1_0fe0_43ea_a866_ac61bca6f874_145.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 825

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back