Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 stereo console - keep silver or go black?

remarklima

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

After some advise - I've added a new head unit to replace the old PCM. However the surround is in black like the 997.2.

I'm in two minds if to paint the rest of the console black, or to paint the surround in silver (Nissan KR2 is the closest match from what I have read).

The black does make it a bit more "modern" - but any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

Hi mark

I had the same quandary, but decided to keep it silver as I have the same color on the seat backs and steering wheel. I too started off with the Nissan color but found it not close enough, I eventually went to a paint supplier who made me up a custom mix, it's pretty much spot on in real life, looks a bit off in pictures.

Attachments

• 578e3353_5eba_4538_a45f_3492e0e85b6a_637.jpeg
    578e3353_5eba_4538_a45f_3492e0e85b6a_637.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,738
remarklima said:
Hi all,

After some advise - I've added a new head unit to replace the old PCM. However the surround is in black like the 997.2.

I'm in two minds if to paint the rest of the console black, or to paint the surround in silver (Nissan KR2 is the closest match from what I have read).

The black does make it a bit more "modern" - but any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

Is the surround a generic one or specific to the head unit you've put in? Is it a true silver finish you have (aluminium look) or the anthracite colour?

Pictures would be great. 👍

Jason, that does look spot on!

I've added a couple of pictures, likewise I have the vulcan grey seat backs and finishes on the steering wheel... When you pay attention, there is a lot of contrasting silvers going on in the cabin!

I've replaced the the heater switches so pulling the rest out and painting black is fine... But undecided which way to go? I still have the original PCM so it can all go back to oem easily enough, but repainting isn't so easy.

Attachments

• 20220326_142554_124.jpg
    20220326_142554_124.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1,637
  • 20220326_143143_111.jpg
    20220326_143143_111.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,638
I also prefer the OEM look usually but the PCM in these cars is really something else.

Do you have any interest in the rumoured PCCM+, or selling the car on in future (vs a keeper)? If so I would be tempted to wait and see what colour and finish it has. Suspect the market might value PCCM+ (or the option to fit it) going forward so having your console good to go keeps your options open. Just a thought.

So much black in car interiors... how about painting the surround and the centre console silver or your body colour? You could also do your seat backs and or seat belts to match your body colour... :)

MeltonMowbray said:
I also prefer the OEM look usually but the PCM in these cars is really something else.

Do you have any interest in the rumoured PCCM+, or selling the car on in future (vs a keeper)? If so I would be tempted to wait and see what colour and finish it has. Suspect the market might value PCCM+ (or the option to fit it) going forward so having your console good to go keeps your options open. Just a thought.

Yep, I was thinking of keeping it original, but it's really dated badly... I'll keep the old head unit, just so it can all back to stock.

I think it's a keeper, you never know with these things, but my thinking is to just enjoy, do some track days here and there, have the odd road trip etc... I don't do mega miles so may as well enjoy those I do! I'd have had an Elise in a heartbeat, except for the occasional need for 4 seats.

PCCM+ I'm not sure about, it sounds like just another aftermarket head unit in the 996. If it doesn't offer all the Sports Chrono stuff in the PCM, then it'd be interesting to see the interest in it... But good shout to keep it stock. Another option is to a get spare centre console, and paint that?

TonyC911 said:
So much black in car interiors... how about painting the surround and the centre console silver or your body colour? You could also do your seat backs and or seat belts to match your body colour... :)

I know, it's a sea of black all the time... Silver would be too bright I'd think, and the body is artic silver so that doesn't help. I guess a red would work with the callipers etc... Do the belts in the same colour for a bit of fun... Food for thought.

to be safe, go black. my brothers car is having it all painted matte black right now (including the same bezel for the generic android deck in the photos that we are all running). his interior is terracotta. his lower console is getting painted gloss black (altho his outside is carrera white). but he has been adding black to his interior so it will look good.

i am going gt silver with my center stack (or the same color as the our vents/interior door handles). my interior is sea Blue. it should work fine. my lower console is already painted cobalt blue like the outside of the car. your actic silver will work.

I would NOT recommend painting the centre stack the same color as the exterior - it will look too guady + possibly tacky. at most, keep the exterior color match to the lower console and seat backs. anything in direct sight lines will be too much.

i will post photos when all done.

and yes, you are correct.... the 996+ pccm is a chinese android deck, its been proven a few times now since the unit has been on the market for a few years - given this, i would get a chinese android deck that doesn't have functional restriction, and is 65% cheaper.

the 2022 generation of android pcm's look 100% oem, have the knobs + buttons we all love, and comes in both .1 (silver) + .2 (black).

remarklima said:
Yep, I was thinking of keeping it original, but it's really dated badly... I'll keep the old head unit, just so it can all back to stock.

I think it's a keeper, you never know with these things, but my thinking is to just enjoy, do some track days here and there, have the odd road trip etc... I don't do mega miles so may as well enjoy those I do! I'd have had an Elise in a heartbeat, except for the occasional need for 4 seats.

PCCM+ I'm not sure about, it sounds like just another aftermarket head unit in the 996. If it doesn't offer all the Sports Chrono stuff in the PCM, then it'd be interesting to see the interest in it... But good shout to keep it stock. Another option is to a get spare centre console, and paint that?

I know, it's a sea of black all the time... Silver would be too bright I'd think, and the body is artic silver so that doesn't help. I guess a red would work with the callipers etc... Do the belts in the same colour for a bit of fun... Food for thought.

black looks better but silver does work!

https://youtu.be/KKGh1gNIvUc

whatsapp_image_2022_04_05_at_10_07_24_am_ddbb24b2c23c0c67c69f803627b5f0e5172a5633.jpeg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back