Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996ttalot - 9E- The Gems left behind- Tiptronic owners

Very interesting read.

So, to get a 'faster' change or 'hold the revs longer', you need to floor it twice. Does that mean a quick dab to the carpet? Then lift off then repeat?

Or, does it mean set off from the lights (once on green) and hold on the floor till in 5th? Then repeat.

Seriously, for how long? etc.

Guess my 2001 turbo has the 5 modes then.

More please.

There is an art to understanding the tip box and how to use it to full effect , I am finding the info about tip boxes very useful and reading lots about them now.
interestingly I had a forum member in mine the other day and he has a manual 997 turbo and he actually commented on the speed of the shift saying it changed quickly and smoothly,
so the tip boxes have more to share with us, I bet very few of us are getting the best from our gear boxes . :thumb:

I tried the "double stab" today and it's just a "stab" so an inch or so travel? it picks up and drops a gear without doing the full-on mental "buried in the carpet warp mode"
try it, you won't break it :D

If you can't change gear using the tip buttons while in D, then i guess you have the older 5-mode box?

Halcyon said:
I tried the "double stab" today and it's just a "stab" so an inch or so travel? it picks up and drops a gear without doing the full-on mental "buried in the carpet warp mode"

If you can't change gear using the tip buttons while in D, then i guess you have the older 5-mode box?

No doubt Ken should be along shortly to answer all these questions :)

ok51mon said:
Halcyon said:

No doubt Ken should be along shortly to answer all these questions :)
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Calling Ken to the podium :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :stay:

I ended up buying a manual but it was reading through Ken's posts on the Tip that made it a marginal decision for me. They are so clearly generally misunderstood.

Re the initial double flooring, I may be wrong but had always read it as being when the car is in park or neutral rather than drive?

JH said:
I ended up buying a manual but it was reading through Ken's posts on the Tip that made it a marginal decision for me. They are so clearly generally misunderstood.

Re the initial double flooring, I may be wrong but had always read it as being when the car is in park or neutral rather than drive?

interesting, now I need someone to confirm this new idea at the party :?: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

ok51mon said:
Guys,

If anyone else appreciates this thread please do say so and I can post some more "Ken Gems" that have been lost in time.
more "ken gems" please :food: :thumbs:

Manual driver here, but love to hear how the other side roll.
MC

The double stamp is a very quick succession of full stamps without invoking the kick down - don't do it with a car in front of you - you can with practice do this without making the car jerk forward. This is whilst driving so find someone at say 40 mph - switch to manual mode and try.

Manual mode is the best solution for fastest shifting as is PSM off.

996ttalot said:
The double stamp is a very quick succession of full stamps without invoking the kick down - don't do it with a car in front of you - you can with practice do this without making the car jerk forward. This is whilst driving so find someone at say 40 mph - switch to manual mode and try.

Manual mode is the best solution for fastest shifting as is PSM off.

Any thoughts on my questions Ken ?

People are dying to know the full features of the gearbox.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :stay:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back