Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996...Ugly !...are you blind?

Hewn from stone :grin:

I really don't mind the look of the 996, from the outside, sides and rear :grin:

At the end of the day its why I've never owned one as I could not get on with the interior or front. There is nothing wrong in that thinking as its all subjective and we don't all have to like every model :bandit:

...that's probably my only complaint about the 996; the evidence of penny pinching , particularly on some of the plastic trim pieces which are really quite frustratingly fragile...

...definitely not hewn from granite!

...I'm pleased that it's becoming recognised though; as a significant milestone in Porsche history as well as being a lovely thing to drive and to reconnect to the original thread statement :thumbs:

For me any 996 (.1 or .2) without any aero is just perfect: simple elegant "soap bar" lines. Having said that 996 gt3's with aero look just right too.

I was surprised to learn the early 986, & 996's were hand built on the same production line as the 993. For details see the snippets in post #11 on this RL thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-for...-the-early-builds-especiali.html#post18722839

I'm not 100%, but think these might have been from the Adrian Streather book.

Im not going to bash any 911 model as I like them all TBH. I kind of like that the 996 is seen as the bastard child of the 911's, it means I dont feel so bad mucking around with it. I bought one as it was the only 911 I could afford short of a early high mileage ropey 997 which funnily enough I didnt like the interior of as there were too many silver buttons etc. It didnt feel old enough if that makes sense.

End of the day it was built with a view to increase profits on the 911 over previous models therefore there will be the areas where costs were cut. However I can accept a few wee creaks and moans as it drives so well, so much feedback. Mine still amazes me how good it feels for a 20+ year old car and how usable it is.

There is no such thing as a bad 911 IMO, just get the one that fits you best. 996 is in no way the best model but its far from the worst.

GMG said:
Superay...lovely colour combination and when you compare the slightly cross eyed 993 with that view , including the headlight style and the organic shut lines...simply more cohesive to these eyes...

...however I'd not try a beauty contest comparison between a 996 and 964 or 3.2 ! :sad:

cheers, classic Mercedes pre-war GP car colour scheme

:D

Yes totally agree with the "subjective" comments, I love all pre 991 911s.

I would love to but can't include the 991/992 as they are huge GT cars with loads of nanny technology which I just don't want in a drivers car, ABS is too much for me and my 996 has fly by wire and PSM both of which I absolutely hate, should have bought a 98 really.

A big thing I do miss from earlier 911s is dry sump, the change to a wet sump was a definate move down.

GMG said:
Looks like a right minter Superray :thumbs:

Thanks its in nice condition - a few mechanical bits to do (isnt there always) but on the whole its pretty good for 21 years old

I was particularly pleased with these recent shots of mine, definitely not ugly!

Attachments

• 20230325_103151_471.jpg
    20230325_103151_471.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 330
  • 20230521_103932_192.jpg
    20230521_103932_192.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 330
  • 20230521_104025_889.jpg
    20230521_104025_889.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 330
I could live with that :grin: :thumb:

ps tell me thats not your garage :eek:

jonttt said:
I could live with that :grin: :thumb:

ps tell me thats not your garage :eek:

Ha, everyone says that, I wish it was! It was a cars and caffiene event at the St.Ives Brewery in Hayle, Cornwall and mine was one of the cars chosen to be displayed inside in the coffee shop area. I was well chuffed.

#996lovers
#996problemsandwhatothersthinkaintone

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back