Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 - Still an absolute bargain

:yeah:

Although the binnacle layout & digital display on the 996.1 is better than the 996.2

God knows why they moved the digital speedo. :dont know:

The 996 is definitely a bargain 911.

996 "new age" interior with leather everywhere and alcantara rooflining is a very nice place to be and I actually like the headlights (especially the facelift version) which were designed to go with the clean shut lines.

It's also the last 911 with a fixed ratio steering rack, which I find gives more feel than later 911s. Quite an analogue drive.

I paid £7K a couple of years ago, for my 120K, 98 C2 Cab manual, which needed a few things sorting out, but essentially was all there. It was a Cat C around a decade ago, so even though value will always be lower, it was properly repaired on the rear offside quarter.

I've since replaced the bonnet, offside front wing, front radiators with dual core ally ones. I've taken the gearbox out and had it rebuilt to sort the pinion bearing whine, then replaced the clutch and various hydraulic parts at the same time. It's had a quick shifter fitted and new PS2 front tyres, plus a new spring, upper mount and bump stop on one side (still got the other to do). Bilstein dampers are fairly new.

I've replaced door lock mechanisms, a couple of microswitches, recalibrated the clamshell POT using PIWIS2 and now it's absolutely spot on.

It owes me £10K now, mainly as the bonnet and wing was a great match and local buy at £150 for the pair, but is fully sorted, just with a few parts still to fit, like stainless headers, titanium manifold studs and nuts, rear engine mounts.

It's solid underneath and I expect it to be a keeper now.

Very happy about taking the plunge a couple of years ago, on one with niggly faults, but ultimately solid. :thumb:

I liked it so much, I bought a Cayenne 955 Turbo WLS (E81 Powerkit) as a daily driver, as I do very little mileage. That's pretty sorted now too!

Alex said:
I forgot you're a Mondeo fan.

I prefer the centre dashboard of a 996 over a 997 but have to point out that whilst the 997 item does resemble one from a 'noughties' Mondeo the 996 is just as similar to that in a Mondeo from the 90s.

Back on topic ....... All generations of watercooled 911s offer great value-for-money compared to the latest model and best of all they offer depreciation busting residuals.

996 is definitely a great entry level 911. :thumbs:

I do a lot of the work myself on mine. I work on it in my unit. The guy next door comres round and gives me a hand as he likes working on cars. He said to me the other day - I a always though you had big balls and would never dream of buying a 911 as I thought they'd be so expensive on parts and so hard to work on. Couple of years of helping me and he can't believe how easy to work on and how reasonable the parts are.

They are a truly great all rounder, even when it comes to maintenance. :thumbs:

Keeping mine for the foreseeable, at least till I hit 200k.

T8 said:
the 996 is just as similar to that in a Mondeo from the 90s.

:useless:

Alex said:
T8 said:
the 996 is just as similar to that in a Mondeo from the 90s.

:useless:

The link is massive so I'll remove it shortly. Google 1998 Mondeo Interior pics and you'll find loads. :D

I suspect were I the younger less than well heeled man I once was and wishing today to sample a 911 Porsche derivative to see what all the fuss was about, given the price range, it seems logical that a 996 would be the prime target. Thus today i suspect the majority of the spanner wielding enthusiasts would seem likely to be 996 owners.. :thumb:

How did I not notice that.........said Stevie Wonder :eek:

YPVS said:
I paid £7K a couple of years ago, for my 120K, 98 C2 Cab manual, which needed a few things sorting out, but essentially was all there. It was a Cat C around a decade ago, so even though value will always be lower, it was properly repaired on the rear offside quarter.

I've since replaced the bonnet, offside front wing, front radiators with dual core ally ones. I've taken the gearbox out and had it rebuilt to sort the pinion bearing whine, then replaced the clutch and various hydraulic parts at the same time. It's had a quick shifter fitted and new PS2 front tyres, plus a new spring, upper mount and bump stop on one side (still got the other to do). Bilstein dampers are fairly new.

I've replaced door lock mechanisms, a couple of microswitches, recalibrated the clamshell POT using PIWIS2 and now it's absolutely spot on.

It owes me £10K now, mainly as the bonnet and wing was a great match and local buy at £150 for the pair, but is fully sorted, just with a few parts still to fit, like stainless headers, titanium manifold studs and nuts, rear engine mounts.

It's solid underneath and I expect it to be a keeper now.

Very happy about taking the plunge a couple of years ago, on one with niggly faults, but ultimately solid. :thumb:

I liked it so much, I bought a Cayenne 955 Turbo WLS (E81 Powerkit) as a daily driver, as I do very little mileage. That's pretty sorted now too!

Sounds like a good decision. The Cayenne sounds like a great spec and lovely colour from your signature. 👍

See for me comments like this miss the point and are somewhat pompous in some cases: -

• - 996 is definitely a great entry level 911.
    - I suspect were I the younger less than well heeled man
    - the majority of the spanner wielding enthusiasts would seem likely to be 996 owners

Regardless of price I have no interest in 911s after the 997, they became nanny tech and big GT cars, they are no longer light small involving sports cars. I love the 996/997 because of what they offer rather than their cost efficiency although the cost efficiency is obviously hugely beneficial.

Thunderace said:
..... Regardless of price I have no interest in 911s after the 997, they became nanny tech and big GT cars, they are no longer light small involving sports cars. I love the 996/997 because of what they offer rather than their cost efficiency although the cost efficiency is obviously hugely beneficial.

911 enthusiasts love all 911s but will always have a favourite model. I know of many that prefer the 996 over any others but I also know many that consider the 996 to be too big and/or too technically advanced to be a true 911.

Similarly - I know a lot who prefer the 991 and can't understand why 996 owners consider them to be "big GT cars" when they're only 2.4 inches longer and 1.7 inches wider.

My earlier comment about the 996 being a great entry level stands as nobody can argue that buying a 996 isn't the most cost-effective way to get into 911 ownership. The thread title is "996 - still an absolute bargain" so I can't see how I'm "missing the point".

For the record, when I bought my first 996 it was intended to be my forever car. After 3.5 years I moved on to different one and then another. After 13 years of 911 ownership I still have fond memories of my first one so I do understand your passion. However, you may feel differently in 10 years time.

...the 996 was the only way I was ever going to own a 911 without draining my savings! ; my investment was a rental property which was a head rather than heart purchase...given the way the housing market is going I might have been better off buying a classic 911!?

...I genuinely love my 996.2 though...my son has a 991 3.8s and lovely as it is I don't covet it...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back