Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 radio replacement again

bernardo

the CR22 head unit on my 2000 996 (pre MOST?) has given up the ghost. Can anybody recommend a good direct replacement. Google seems to only have articles that are over 10 years old.

Also what harness adaptors do I need?

Not looking for anything fancy, if it can drive my cd player great, if not, I'm not too bothered.

I'm electrically illiterate so it needs to be simple

thanks

Bernard

Continental TR7412UB (also made by VDO) is a popular replacement.

I couldn't find a UK supplier when I checked just now, but others may be able to direct you?

Cheers

I am very pleased with my continental head unit apart from the air conditioning interference - http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=139007&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hopefully, this is down to the wiring adapter...

The CT Connects wiring adapter didn't work properly as the switched and permanent live are not corrected for the continental, at least on the one I purchased. When they are switched, the head unit comes on with the ignition. When they are not switched, you have to manually turn the unit on each time.

The Berville wiring adapter seems very popular and I am awaiting delivery of one as I have contacted Tore at Bergville and he said he couldn't advise me on my instal but did think I needed his adapter.

So far, he doesn't seem to be as helpful as his on-line reputation due to me not buying the head unit it from him, although I have bought the adapter cable! I asked what do with the spare blue and green connecters left over (the yellow one plugs into his adapter) and he told me to contact whoever I bought the head unit from.

There are not many options (rattle in the car or connect to the head unit), so will work it out but its seems a bit petty to show the 3 connectors you have to get the right fitting and get sold a cable with one connector and not tell you what to do with the other two.

My Continental unit works fine with the Bergville adapter. No AC interference and it was a plug-n-play install. Mind you, the cable is not cheap, so I wouldn't recommend anything less.

If you car has no amp, any radio will be fine.

If you have the amp, pop stereo out and see if you have wires coming out of the yellow block, you would be best to find a stereo with pre outs on it, Blaupunkt do a few that look pretty stock/retro.

Then you plug a cable like this into your factory harness.

Adapter cable

Keeps life far simpler than converting speaker level to line level, you need to have decent grounds everywhere when you do that, which might not be the case on these cars.

My Bergville adapter has cured the air conditioning interference!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back