Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 gen 2 3.6 bore score

deMort said:
Rule of thumb and what i always recommend pretty much regardless ..

Always get a ppi done with a borescope inspection by an independent garage that is Not associated with the seller .

I do this for a living and i have found .. " reasons " the car is being sold shall we say a few times over the years .

If you buy a house then you get a survey done .. a car is often the second largest purchase a person will ever make .

I am available to go through any ppi inspection report and explain it should you need going forward as i guarantee they can be scary but often are minor issues .

Email or PM to message me as im not as active here as i used to be .. sorry .

I've purchased 5 996s 4 good ones, one let go but you have to expect that.

Buy one broken or one with a solid rebuild 🖖

What deMort says too!

I didn't get a PPI done as I have a good level of mechanical competency myself - but I did get the previous owner to drive me down to the guy that rebuilt the engine, and I had all of the paperwork and photos. I had a good few conversations and swapped emails before I ventured over. I had a back up car an hour away if it turned out to be a lemon.

Also - as I found it on here, I was able to read up on what the PO had posted over the 2 years he owned it and it was all positive.

As an aside, shortly after I bought mine, a guy (Liam) on the Porsche Club Ireland forum posted that he was looking. For a C4S, so I pointed out the back up car I had considered (I chose the one I bought as the engine was rebuilt...). Liam asked me to re contact the owner on his behalf and see if there was a deal to be done. Short story, Liam flew over, did a walk around with me on WhatsApp video, we snagged a couple of items such as radiator fan not running, dates on tyres, got a few more quid off and he drove it back to Dublin. So far - 4 years later - other than normal servicing, he has only had to change the battery, polish the head lights, new radiator fan, window regulator. He got a far better deal than I got for myself.

An honest owner who has looked after the car will have a story to tell and paperwork to prove it.

Check what for sale on here and then see if the seller is a long time forum member and then check out their posts. Its an easy way to check a cars integrity.

The short story is that while bringing a car into Ireland is more hassle and more expensive post Brexit, bringing to NI should be easy.

John, not sure where you are in NI or how many 996's you've been in so far - if you're down Fermanagh way let me know and you can take a spin in mine (manual 996.2), might give you something to compare to when you start actively looking.
Dave

djguru said:
John, not sure where you are in NI or how many 996's you've been in so far - if you're down Fermanagh way let me know and you can take a spin in mine (manual 996.2), might give you something to compare to when you start actively looking.
Dave
Brilliant Dave i only have been in a auto gen 1 a good example but was out of my budget and also I wanted a drive in a manual but there was none for sale at that time.i am not far you at all Tyrone, I can pm you and arrange something if the offer still stands

Thanks chianighmare. Sounds Good I have no problem going over across to get something and as you say it would be easier for me to bring a car across, there is a few cars on for sale and finding a good one will be a challenge.
Will use your advice for sure and many thanks

deMort said:
Rule of thumb and what i always recommend pretty much regardless ..

Always get a ppi done with a borescope inspection by an independent garage that is Not associated with the seller .

I do this for a living and i have found .. " reasons " the car is being sold shall we say a few times over the years .

If you buy a house then you get a survey done .. a car is often the second largest purchase a person will ever make .

I am available to go through any ppi inspection report and explain it should you need going forward as i guarantee they can be scary but often are minor issues .

Email or PM to message me as im not as active here as i used to be .. sorry .
Thanks demort I will be clad to speak to you when the need arrives,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back