Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Carrera - Spoiler upgrade & warning light bypass

ChrisTraies

HELP!!!

I am literally doing my nut in searching for a solution to a soon to be issue I will almost certainly have!

Purchased a new GT style wing (no 3rd brake light) for my 04 C2 Cab.

So, you must already know the question but I'm going to ask it anyway because every link on here or RennList etc doesn't really fix the issue as they all focus on the TT hydraulic spoilers.

So....what's the fix folks? How on earth do I ensure that I don't get any warning lights on my dash? Any simple rewiring hacks in existing plug/loom?

I can't even bare to pay £500+ for a new GT bloody wiring loom. Absolute joke.

Surely someone can venture a solution and PLEASE, don't redirect me to a thread for a Turbo.

Cheers for taking time to read folks!!

ChrisTraies said:
So, you must already know the question but I'm going to ask...

So....what's the fix folks? How on earth do I ensure that I don't get any warning lights on my dash?

...You don't actually say which light is causing you an issue, is it a brake warning light or the spoiler light?

If it's the latter, when I had an aero-kit spoiler (i.e. fixed as per your ducktail) the spoiler light would come on when starting up and go out automatically as the car started moving so it was never an issue. To the best of my knowledge I believe that's quite normal.

I think, although he doesn't mention it once, that he is concerned about the warning light for the spoiler? :?:

HI chaps - yes indeed. It is the dreaded spoiler warning light I'm worried about, and it will be driven by the fact that I don't have the wiring loom from Porsche for a factory GT wing. This is aftermarket replica and I'll need to worry about the on board not understanding why there's no standard Carrera rear wing any more.

Sorry for not being more specific in original post.

ChrisTraies said:
This is aftermarket replica and I'll need to worry about the on board not understanding why there's no standard Carrera rear wing any more.

As per my previous post, when I had the fixed wing aero-kit boot lid on mine it illuminated the spoiler light as I guess the system recognises that it can't locate the liftable wing.

As the fixed wing aero-kit boot lid was a genuine Porsche option, in essence I can't see that your ducktail spoiler being an after market item is any different.

The light should go off immediately the moment the car starts rolling, does yours stay on permanently once the car is in motion?

Someone may be along to say it can be coded out or similar, but other than the fact you see the light initially on start up it shouldn't be a problem, I never had any issues with MOT for example as the light doesn't stay on, so it's not indicating a fault.

Just pop out the cluster and pull the bulb if it does come back on on your car.

It will leave a code in the ECU, but does it matter?

If there is a factory option for fixed wing then the spoiler can be coded to this and you won't get warning messages for spoiler not raised at 70 plus mph.

I'm pretty sure there is a coding option for this in instrument cluster but without looking i can't be 100 %

High lvl brake light .. if not attached to anything then i doubt you will get a message saying its inop .. if you do then it might be possible to wire it to one of the other brake lights .. i would need to investigate that though .

Easy fix I found a few years ago and modded both my 996's that I fitted fixed wings to. I only have the photo of the wiring mod but can't remember which connector it was. I found it on renntech. Maybe this will jog someone's memory

Attachments

• 7dd94ee5_e67d_47fb_866f_db741143a144_170.jpeg
    7dd94ee5_e67d_47fb_866f_db741143a144_170.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,015
  • 7dd94ee5_e67d_47fb_866f_db741143a144_170.jpeg
    7dd94ee5_e67d_47fb_866f_db741143a144_170.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,015
Easy fix I found a few years ago and modded both my 996's that I fitted fixed wings to. I only have the photo of the wiring mod but can't remember which connector it was. I found it on renntech. Maybe this will jog someone's memory

Attachments

• 7dd94ee5_e67d_47fb_866f_db741143a144_720.jpeg
    7dd94ee5_e67d_47fb_866f_db741143a144_720.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,014
  • 7dd94ee5_e67d_47fb_866f_db741143a144_720.jpeg
    7dd94ee5_e67d_47fb_866f_db741143a144_720.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,014

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members