Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 cabriolet roof problem

peasoup39

Hi everyone. I am a very new member to this forum but not to Porsche cars. In the past my interest is only been in older cars and have built up a nice collection as part of my pension plans. These include a 356SC, a 1970 911T and a 1985 wide bodied 3.2 Carrera ( M491). For fun before I am to old I also have a 944 track car. Last year a bought a 996 Carrera 4 s which I share with my son and this was my first taste of what I call a civilised 911 and it is very impressive to drive.
Having now retired I am spending my time on restoring and maintaining my collection.
Enough about me now my problem.
I could not miss out on the opportunity to purchase a cheap year 2000 cabriolet C4 with full Techart bodywork and lowered suspension as a way of learning a bit about these newer cars. How different they are from the old ones I am used to. The car has been a bit neglected and requires a little TLC. First job was to replace the silencers. Every bolt has rotted through and had to be cut off with an angle grinder which does not say much for the quality of fittings Porsche are now using. Front spring has broken but as a Techart part cannot blame Porsche for that. The rear window on the soft top was cracked and discoloured so I have removed the soft top to get it repaired. My God Porsche make things in a complicated way. It took me hours to remove and at my age hope I remember how to put it back together. Which leads me to my current problem. Behind the roof is a crescent shaped panel which moves up and back to allow the roof to lift. When the roof is in the up position this panel goes back down to its closed position. If I put the roof down the panel moves up and back but when the roof is fully folded away this panel will not go back to the closed position and sticks up about 2". I have checked that there is nothing obvious in the way or that the frame is jamming it open.
Anyone know what may be the problem.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaApex
Back