Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C2 Exhaust Manifold - Can of worms

Great post Armagreggon!

Thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

Cracking stuff Armagreggon85, horrific job this. I take my hat off to you for persevering and the excellent posts to help others :thumb:

I think anyone who's done a fair bit of work on cars will have come across a job like this at some point, one where you wonder why you started half way through. But there's no turning back!

Top marks for the perseverance. I have to say, each time I hear of the amount of work involved in disturbing these bolts I really think it's probably a case of if it's not broken, don't touch it! Hopefully the bolts and manifolds will hang in there for most people until other engine work may be needed one day. If the majority of the bolts are going to snap anyway then I guess you're no worse off leaving them a few more years and having the whole lot drilled out at once.

Having done a fair bit of engine/head work on several older Mercedes cars I have to say it seems like these exhaust bolts weren't the best design and choice of material. I remember doing the first head strip and rebuild on what was a 20 year old 190E Cosworth and literally every nut, bolt, screw and clip came apart like it was made yesterday. Even all the exhaust studs and nuts - I wonder why Porsche used steel bolts like this rather than studs and nuts in the first place (?)

X51 996 said:
I wonder why Porsche used steel bolts like this rather than studs and nuts in the first place (?)

Cheaper to manufacture?

So Arm85 if you had to tackle this b*****d of a job again what advice could you give us (especially if we don't have a ramp!)?

I assume a Stomski jig and stud extractor are essential tools as is Plusgas (it may help a bit) and a blow torch. Allowing 4 days+ Appears to be about the right timescale. I would have thought that the manifolds would easily come away after the bolts had snapped off, I was surprised that they had welded themselves to the remaining bolt.

What else can be done to make this job easier other than paying a competent firm to carry out the work on a ramp (~£1000) or removing the engine?

Has anyone had success using one of those bolt induction heaters?
http://www.boltbusterinc.com/kit/

I reckon an Indy would charge in the region of £500.

alex yates said:
I reckon an Indy would charge in the region of £500.

Maybe 'oop North' but not 'darn South'!
You have better roads and cheaper mechanics.

My mechanic charged me £250 for this job :dont know:

Good thread, this is making me more and more certain that I've done the right thing and requested Hartech do this when i take mine in for a major service and other jobs.!

I can certainly relate to those jobs where you just wonder why you started as everything, is seized or snaps for fun.

The 'joys' of home maintenance.

Yes a great post very informative, I've certainly had my fair share of jobs I wish I hadn't started but they're the most satisfying when you're finished. And it might be the (adopted) Yorkshire man in me but I'd give it a go if meant saving £250+.

I remember Fuzz using an induction heater on a head stud on Car SOS, sorted it in no time.

It's deffo one of those jobs that fit the saying - "point of no return".

How many bolts - 16?

That's 16 possible nightmares........and that's only on the bolts alone.

I'm looking forward to it already.

MC

Done this job on my 997, very similar experience and took me a good few days on axle stands with oil dripping in my eyes and followed by bits of metal falling in my eyes....afterwards i was happy i had done it and knew a proper job had been done.

would i do it again knowing what i know....erm NO

But respect to you for seeing through

Glad i never had to do this job when i had my 996.1

Just a thought - surely it would make good sense to change the bolts / studs when the car is still new ?? Could save a lot of pain ???

digby

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prime007
Back