Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

If Hartech were doing everything to their design then they'd warrant it - but in this case a large part of the design is, frankly, untested and external to their organisation. If the engine blows up due to a machining fault then I'd imagine that they'd help out, but if I spin it to 8,000 rpm and the whole thing melts I'll be on my own.

Any warranty on the short block goes out the window as soon as it's machined.

I'm hoping that the engine won't blow up, but you don't enter into this sort of project without knowing that it's a definite possibility.

I am wondering what to do with my current engine when the new one goes in, suggestions on the back of a postcard please.

Keep the current engine so it can go back in when the new one is out being fixed.
MC

Hah! Might be sensible.

"Hi, Grant, you'll never guess what's happened. Anyway, the car's on a transporter on it's way to you".

I'd keep the old engine. One day it'll be the difference between a matching numbers car and not :dont know:

Assuming it doesn't end up broken beyond repair before then. :eek:

Keep up the good work :thumbs:

30376310908_b9b3b7ea43_b.jpg

29307817927_7651bbbae4_b.jpg

Dammit said:
Hah! Might be sensible.

"Hi, Grant, you'll never guess what's happened. Anyway, the car's on a transporter on it's way to you".

:grin: :grin: :thumb:

That reminds me, I need to give mine another dose of waterproofer ready for the winter.

Hi Neil, a few questions if I may..,

Who is developing the tappet carrier for you? Are you planning on introducing an X51 scavenge pump or do you feel the redesigned carrier will be able to deal with the oil surge?

Did you purchase your new short block from Porsche? How was the cost versus having Hartech rebuild your existing? Excluding anything associated with oversizing as this would be relevant to both.

Are you planning Carrillo rods with Hartech pistons? (Within a Hartech Nikasil closed deck lined block)

Are the new heads your working on a modification of the original Porsche items or are you starting from scratch? Is the primary purpose to increase power in excess of X51 or to design out the inherent fault in the 3.4 items that causes them to crack?

Given your going as far as you are, any thoughts on a dry sump?

Any info appreciated, PM if preferred.

The tapped carrier has mainly been developed by Race Technology so far- here's a shot of the CAD model for a standard Variocam engine:

29444694557_4943cb4be9_b.jpg

Race Techniques will be specifying what design changes are required for mechanical tappets and higher lift.

We believe that making these from much stronger material will resolve the hydraulic fracture issue, so no additional scavenge pump on the head.

I didn't get my shortblock from Porsche, I'm buying it from Hartech, costs are quite fluid at the moment as I don't knowing much of it I'm going to use- crank/pistons and rods can be resold to recoup some cash for e.g.

I'll likely use 300M rods with Hartech pistons, and an EN40B crankshaft.

Th heads started life as stock 3.4 ones, the goal is to both remove the flaws and boost performance. We'd like to do better than the 96 bhp per litre that the X51 kit developed.

We've kicked the dry sump idea around, not sure at this point. Would I like too? Yes. Do we need too? Unknown. Do I have an infinite supply of money? Sadly not.

I'm on holiday at the moment and took the 911 to the airport.

To get all the bags in I left the spare wheel in the garage- surprising amount of room when you take the wheel out.

Has anyone gone from spare wheel to tire sealant?

If so, did you get this foam organiser?

http://www.carnewal.com/products/996/p96100/Trunk-Organizer

Unclear whether that is for a C2 or a C4, and I'd need to get the various bits, but I can't fond one from any seller on eBay- although this might be simply because I don't know what it's called here so searching for it is tricky.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back