Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 Airfilter change WOW

nick w said:
I'm going to find out how much Porsche quote to have that air filter changed.... :roll:

........ :stay:

barriejames said:
.......especially when they are old enough that I can afford one!!

With an average nearly new/used 997.2 budget of around £45 to £55k with less than 10k miles...?

........I'd say that you've got around a year to eighteen months to wait.

These things are going to drop quicker than Ulrika Jonsson's kegs.

I'd be purring if I were a 997.2 owner right now......! :wink:

Whitehorse said:
Hmm, Thank god I drive a 997! Was it me or did he catch the alloy on the disc? Also I noticed he undid the wheel nuts with out loosening them in the reverse order...ahem, maybe I should drive a 993 :D

Yes, I think he did catch the alloy, after undoing the nuts with an air gun. What are the 991 nuts made of, as you shouldn't do that to 993 aluminium nuts.

Oh, just pop that PU down on the concrete floor!:eek:

At least he doesn't (yet) have to deal with rusted fasteners. While he was in there I was wondering if he inspected the rear chassis rails. :floor:

rottenbend said:
What's going to happen in fifteen years time when all the fasteners have corroded? :grin:

I guess the same as every other car that's not been driven 'cause there's no fuel left

Porsche does deserve a medal, for poor design! Amazing!
:what:

Hi

I guess there was nowhere else to put it! So it's like a Ferrari to maintain now.

When it comes to 911 ownership I think my aspiration is to own a nicer 993, or more likely add a a 964 to the stable.

In the unlikely event that such a vehicle was to fall into my hands I would have that bumper off for some heavy fastener rustproofing.

Berni

Over-designed. Under-engineered.

The fate of many a basically good modern product.

Tinker said:
Over-designed. Under-engineered.

The fate of many a basically good modern product.

I particularly dislike 'click-in' components and, even to get as far as the air filter, the 991 seems to have plenty of those.

What's the issue? It only took him 8 minutes 59 seconds, and that included driving it in.... :D (kidding before I get flamed)

Seriously though, the whole disassembly looked slightly amateur hour, but what was the reason for doing it, surely not just so that someone could make a home video?

I think what people forget is that items that used to be service items such as starter motors, coils, spark plugs, etc, are no no longer considered as such as they are designed to last so long, so hence they can be packed away into obscurity requiring effort to remove. The air filters have been placed I presume low down at the back of the engine to draw in cooler air rather than being heated on top of the engine?

Just my opinion mind you...

911BlackEd said:
The air filters have been placed I presume low down at the back of the engine to draw in cooler air rather than being heated on top of the engine?

Right on top of the far hotter cats and exhaust bundle :frustrated:

photo.JPG

Porsche_911_991_dalsi_novejsi_06_800_600.jpg

991_engine_161.jpg

Ah yes another reason not to buy a 991S, they are rubbish of course and always will be to pre 991 owners :eek:ld: :friends:

However when I drive my car I'm always on :cloud9:

Don't worry, every 911 has its "quirks".

That is what gives them character :thumb:

The guy looked a highly competent mechanic. My worry would be a lesser mechanic being given an allocated time allowance to complete that job.

Do they give the customer a little grip-seal bag of bolts that they did not manage to put back on, or just bin them?!

I guess after a few times of changing exhaust baffles, air filters, belts, etc there are so many clips bent and broken that the rear bumper starts to look a bit like my avatar.

GT4 said:
911BlackEd said:
The air filters have been placed I presume low down at the back of the engine to draw in cooler air rather than being heated on top of the engine?

Right on top of the far hotter cats and exhaust bundle :frustrated:

photo.JPG

Porsche_911_991_dalsi_novejsi_06_800_600.jpg

991_engine_161.jpg

Oooops I shall get my coat :whistle:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back