Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 Flat battery

Credit where credit is due deMort, plagiarism is not my kinda thing..though cynicism comes entirely naturally to me.. :grin:

The Vehicle Health Check (VHC) retained as a print out would seem to be of value in terms of maintaining a reasonable history file, thus perhaps may be considered as of value to quite a few customers, and in that regard an improvement over just a basic MOT certificate issued...?

My car having had the benefit of being subjected to a BMW main dealer multipoint checklist at the dealership I bought it from less than a year ago, then soon after given a complimentary health check at my OPC, followed on three months after purchase having a service carried out immediately followed by a 111point check all at my OPC, I expected there was little chance of anything being found to create any real issues, and which fortunately turned out to be the case during the MOT and brake fluid change.

Only items suggested to keep an eye on were rear tyres at max 5.9 and min 4.2 across all six points for the two tyres.

Rear brake pads getting low at 6.0mm

Rear number plate lettering beginning to crack... which was fitted new by the BMW supplying dealership when I bought the car just under a year ago..!

Apparently the 997 reinforcing horseshoe plate that I mentioned as a possible mod, was looked at but not available on this model (991) with mention of SY, 195555 ?

We have discussed the exhaust fixings before Iain, and my thinking is that the fixings should be of the same or better quality than the rest of the system, and therefore last at least as long as the system if not longer, as was ever my experience in the air cooled days, and which you seemingly backed up with an image of an air cooled engine disassembly showing no issues with broken fixings..

IF there is some justification for fixings that corrode to the extent that these seem to and subsequently require the amount of extra work, after market jigs and expense as has been recorded by many, I would be more than pleased to be educated as to the reason these particular fixings are selected as matching Porsche engineering ideals..

That it seems the exhaust fixings may be excluded from the extended warranty kinda causes the cynic in me to twitch somewhat..!

As ever thanks so much for your much valued input Iain.

Basically .. an Indy is much cheaper at replacing the flange studs than an OPC and will use stainless steel bolts .. that's all i was trying to get across .

OPC will as far as i know fit standard bolts .

The cover for the coolant pipe .. im sure ive seen something similar fitted to some models but i expect the 991 will have a slightly different design .. this may have been corrected in the design stage .. dont know im afraid but if it isn't leaking then you don't have an issue .

Good to see the VHC turned up nothing of note .. i was fully expecting to get a video of this and that needs replacing .. but as not then :thumb:

Brake pads .. they have sensors wires which will tell you when they need replacing .. you will still have at least 2 K miles after the light is on .. more for the rears .. hence i always say just wait till the light is on then book it in .

It does sound like other than the exhaust studs .. you have a good car ..... excellent !!!

deMort, No argument from me on the cost benefit analysis re using indies, or the obvious high degree of skills and experience to be found within their ranks and I have no doubt that many a Porsche owner will greatly benefit from their services and save a few bob in the process.

These days I am a bit of a stickler for O.E. and that I have jumped through hoops and paid out quite a few bob to arrive at the stage where my C4S has been accepted on to the extended warranty scheme, I think it unwise to risk negating that cover by fitting that which I might consider to be higher quality fixings, thus it pains me to have an OPC replace corroding exhaust fixings with the same O.E. kit that may begin to look shabby again in no time at all, but in fairness and to date the OE fixings have lasted almost ten years, while the nuts are flaking badly, my guess is that they would have a few miles left in them before they fail, otherwise the OPC tec who knew of my concerns might have been expected to determine that they required replacement during any of the checks carried out on the car since August last.

Many thanks for reminding me of the sensors in the brake pads and providing an idea of the way to proceed once they wear down to the wire and thus contacting the disc to generate a fault indication.

As for your thinking that my Porsche might be a good un, THANKS, I gave it my best shot at due diligence, while keeping my fingers tightly crossed and hopefully lady luck played a part too.... Time will tell. :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPD
Back