Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

944S 2.5 16v resto then track project

Chief said:
Is the engine all sorted now Chris?

It seems to be, I didn't get much track time at Oulton due to the rain but having been driving it since then it seems to run perfect, not getting warm and pulls quite well, (when it doesn't have foam in its throat), I have missed a few track days but want to do a few before the season is over ( in the warmer months)

You must sort out a place for the Zuffenhaus event September 5th.

With the Zuffenhausen trackday now sorted I have been gathering a few parts that I want to fit before the day.

The 968 ARB's arrived, I was offered for them to be powder coated before they were sent for an extra cost, which I declined as I can get this done cheaply locally, but when they arrived they were in quite decent condition with only a little surface rust where the bushes touch. I cleaned these bits up and enamel painted them both. I'm fine with that as they don't get seen and now look clean.

YTJhI3V.jpg

The 944S ARB's are Front 21.5mm and rear, 14mm, the 968 bars are, front 26.8mm and 16mm rear so there is quite a difference in the front thickness not so much on the rear, although I can adjust the rear with the rose jointed drop links I have if need be.

The rear poly bushes have arrived but I can't get them over the flat ends of the ARB so I'm wondering if heating them up in very hot water or cutting them to wrap around the ARB would be best?

gdko1Nv.jpg

Also the exhaust tip I bought a couple of years ago, because my original one was very rusty and I had to cut it off, had been looking shabby recently, it had also started to come loose so I took it off rather than wait for it to fall off. It was just a cheap ebay jobbie but had served it purpose.

Geg0emZ.jpg

So today I went over the Custom Chrome and got them to make me a new one up to fit my current pipe in stainless and I'm very please with it for £45. Just need to make sure i have a secure way of fitting, I'm hoping to weld it on.

I like shiny new parts.

79f3Os3.jpg

EM6KM6U.jpg

I just need to make sure I get these fitted over the next two weeks.

Nice update :)

The rear OEM ARB bushes are cut across the centre of the flat section so they can be opened and closed over the ARB. I doubt that would cause any problems as the clamps are pretty tight and put quite a bit of pressure on those bits of the ARB bush.

Wh1t3Kn1ght said:
Nice update :)

The rear OEM ARB bushes are cut across the centre of the flat section so they can be opened and closed over the ARB. I doubt that would cause any problems as the clamps are pretty tight and put quite a bit of pressure on those bits of the ARB bush.

:thumb:

I did assume that but as I haven't removed my old bushes yet, (which I am not looking forward to as the bolts are rusted to hell) I couldn't confirm. Most other ARB bushes are split like that, as well as my 996's so I did assume this but wanted confirmation before getting the blade out. :saw:

I'm happy and amazed to report the 33 year old corroded rear ARB bolts came out without a problem, I had been under the car for a little while planning how I could get a drill in when they snapped and I couldn't really use much heat due to the proximity of fuel and brake line flexi's.

I replaced the bolts with some stainless I had knocking about and stripped it and had it all back together in around 45 minutes.

I did slice the rear of the bushes in half to get them over the ARB and almost took the top of my finger off in the process, ideally they should come already split.

That's the rear ARB done.
Xhn17Bh.jpg

I also fitted the new stainless exhaust tip, it looks so much better now and still sounds grunty enough, the previous tip almost had a whistle to it which sounded naff.

u4ycmbK.jpg

VkjenIu.jpg

Should get the front 968 ARB fitted tomorrow, hopefully.

Excellent, looking forward to some Pax laps at Mallory :grin:

Good job :thumb:

I was surprised when mine came apart easily as well - not like the bolts on the 996... :pc:

I will be tackling the rear shock absorbers soon so I'm hoping they come undone as easily as the ARB...

Mucho good work there Chris. Looking forward to meeting up and spending some time hooning around the track.
Is Cunno coming?

Chief said:
Mucho good work there Chris. Looking forward to meeting up and spending some time hooning around the track.
Is Cunno coming?

I'm unsure if he signed up for the Mallory day or not.

I managed to swap the front ARB today, was very easy as I used stainless bolts on the front too when fitting it with poly bushes. When removing the old ARB I though it looked thicker than 21.5mm and measuring it it was 25mm which I think is an option but I have also read that some cars were fitted with better ARBs that they were supposed to, maybe just due to having them in the parts bin at the factory??

Anyway I used my original poly bushes as there was some confusion when I tried to order the fronts, all I did was drill them all out by an extra 2mm and hey presto back in they went.

I haven't had much time to drive it since but on one roundabout I noticed I didn't need as much steering input to get around it quickly, I assume it's eliminated some understeer but it was fairly neutral already.

Chief said:
Is Cunno coming?

I dropped Cunno a PM and he said he will look into it, so hopefully he`ll be coming along :thumb:

I wonder if the 964 Carrera RS guy we chatted to the other night will also be coming :grin:

Hi kris,
Jason was the chap. I'm not sure we sold it as a gentle walk in the park :?:

Just to add something to this thread, I was waiting for the official pictures to come out from the Mallory Track day, mostly to see what my angle of dangle is now I have the 968 ARB's fitted compared to what it was like. I still have a little body roll but it doesn't seem as bad as before.

YOKrpl2.jpg

OrZGfD5.jpg

I also had a bit of good luck (sort of) with tyres this time, after I parked the car up after the track day I woke up on Friday to find the O/S rear as flat as a pancake, there was a large screw stuck through it, I'm just happy this was on the way home and not on the way there, as it was last year for Oulton :superstition:

It was repairable so it is now fixed.

zqpbQyT.jpg

XYMJtAn.jpg

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back