Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

928 , anyone got one .. or have one with problems ?

As deMort said either car can be a money pit really.

These cars were cheap as chips for years and were purchased by people who didn't have the means to maintain or service them correctly (or likely the inclination).

So some of them have been bodged to keep them running / pass MOTs.

As far as I can see you obviously have twice the cylinders and valves of a 968 but the engine is very similar and even shares some parts between the 944 / 968. Many of the parts I have ordered whilst spannering on the 944 have had 928 part numbers.

I suppose buying on condition is the wise decision so better buying a mint 928 vs a ropey 968. One thing that concerns me with the 968 knowing how these cars corrode is that Porsche in their wisdom used lots of body mouldings to get the more modern look, unfortunately this has the result of holding dirt and road grim against the metalwork causing corrosion where you can't see it.

Anyway no rush - I passed on a mint 928 late last year and kicked myself but I'm sure something will be along at some point that tickles the right places :eek: :D

You seem to have your heart set on one so nothing anyone says is going to swerve you, as they say an itch that has to be scratched. Best of luck finding a good one.

Non-Porsche I know, but today in the exact same place I was following a white Lotus Exel SE, just like the red one I had back in the 80`s :grin:
So cool seeing these classics still on the road :thumb:

we don't see that many 928,s hence i've been slowly learning a car at a time .. i have 2 days off work in a week to get my bike fixed .. blown a front shock seal and due a service and stuff me if they haven't booked in x2 928,s with running issues when im off ..

I reckon i'm going to be very busy on the wednesday with both of them .. ill see if i can take some photos of these in bits :D

The symptom on my car was missing under acceleration.
Took it to JCT in Leeds and that was the diagnosis but obviously there are other items that can fail as well.
I was told that there is a 'titanium' wire that sits in the Air mass meter and it deteriorates over time causing the miss fire. The air flowing over the wire causes a fluctuation in the resistance and thereby the engines increases or decreases fuel flow, clever stuff till it goes wrong.
Just looked at the price, they're 2k for an exch one! Hopefully it's a plug :D

Yup that's exactly how it works .. it goes out of calibration .. there is a company we can use to calibrate them .. good for another 70K miles so i've been told .

http://www.jdsporsche.com/main.html

Highly recommended by me .. they diagnosed a faulty LH ecu on my last 928 , i had proved what i could and thought it was this but workshops can't test Ecu,s .. they can .

A new Maf is stupid money and Porsche trying it on imho .

Considering i'm a 996 onwards guy .. i'm actually looking forward to both 928,s ..

I have to diagnose the old school way .. no fault code info .. just plain hard work :D

3 technicians all said to me

No matter how much your tempted Mark just don't buy one, the best one we've seen recently , a 32,000 mile car, we relieved the owner of £18,000 in 2 years

just don't do it

Ignoring a technicians advise is not recommended

928 in with idle issues .. keeps stalling ..

I usually start with a smoke test on these and sure enough .. huge amount of smoke coming from under the inlet manifold .

manifold off to investigate .. the IAC and Throttle switch which is essential to these cars ticking over correctly is under this and its manifold off to get access .

I will say that this job is just horrible .. pipes and plugs connected to the manifold means you have to lift it and fish around on the underside to get it removed .

Anyways .. with it removed the issue was obvious .. a split pipe .

I learnt from experience though .. always .. always check the throttle sensor .. its just 2 switches .. a contact for closed and a contact for fully open .. if the closed one isn't working you will put it all back together and have an issue ... its critical on these cars that it works .

Some images below .. i do love looking at images of cars in bits :)

Attachments

• fault_191.jpg
    fault_191.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 3,346
  • check_as_well_130.jpg
    check_as_well_130.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 3,346
  • mainifold_off_2_657.jpg
    mainifold_off_2_657.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 3,346
  • mainifold_off_1_201.jpg
    mainifold_off_1_201.jpg