Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

924 Turbo (GT Kit)

JM30

Monza
So I've purchased this just awaiting collection.

I've been after one for a while. I was toying on 944 but never really found one I really liked or was wrong timing. This popped up and I sort of felt I should have a bash at buying it.

Nervous as I've not seen It yet and I don't normally buy my cars this way but the whole process Is there to protect both myself and the seller so I'll soon see If this is a good buy or not when I turn up. 'Cross fingers!'

It all seems to be nice but needs a good service and I'll replace all filters and fluids etc. It's got a MOT but hasn't been driven for 3 years the poor thing! I intend on changing this.

48k miles non sunroof with GT Kit fitted It's a Series 2 Turbo so had the upgrades. and a Cool interior!.

What do you guys think? anyone know It??. Is It worth joining the 924 forum?.

Excuse the pictures taken from my phone! more to follow when I collect.

IMG-1588.png

IMG-1589.png

IMG-1590.png

IMG-1591.png

IMG-1593.png

IMG-1601.png

Congratulations, those piqued my interest after seeing this.

Yours looks a lot nicer than the pile of crap 924 Turbo I had millennia ago.

That's a cool old thing. 8)

I'm a big fan of the 924 Carrera GT and have always had a hankering for a replica. Pascha trim too, for the win.

Only the soundtrack let's the transaxle cars down but they're still lovely.

Get some Fuchs on it!

:thumb: Thanks for the replies guys, interesting fact finding video cheers for sharing,

I've always fancied a classic Porsche. Itching to get stuck in but hoping Its not a money pit!. :eek:

I'll grab some detailed pictures to share with you all. The Pasha interior is very 80's haha. mint though.

Fuch's would look amazing actually and will finish It off nicely.

JM30 said:
:thumb: Thanks for the replies guys, interesting fact finding video cheers for sharing,

I've always fancied a classic Porsche. Itching to get stuck in but hoping Its not a money pit!. :eek:

I'll grab some detailed pictures to share with you all. The Pasha interior is very 80's haha. mint though.

Definitely needs Fuchs. Cool old car. I had a 928 with pasha. Proper groovy maaan 8)

Parsley said:
JM30 said:

Definitely needs Fuchs. Cool old car. I had a 928 with pasha. Proper groovy maaan 8)

:D 8) I might get dizzy If I stare at the interior too long haha.

I just hope this don't have too many common issues

Thanks Mark. That's lovely isn't it and them Fuch's really suit them well, Its always the way with timing I have the same issue most of the time. :nooo:

I'm a little scared now though with how reliable these will be, I was used to spending on the 996's I had but most of that was me chasing niggles that I could have lived with but couldn't enjoy It with them present! If you know what I mean.

Thanks for the replies guys but this has turned out to be a bad one or at least a very shady history and has 100k more miles!! 148k not 48k as stated on the listing.

links are from what I found not the places i purchased from. i purchased though car and classics auction. however I have now been refunded. after hours of organising insuring etc etc HPI brought up one thing too. never mind. shame as it looks lovely but not what i thought i was buying...

http://automotoclassicsale.com/node/31076
https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/79-1982-porsche-924-turbo/?lot=5713&sd=1

:sad: :nooo:

Other stuff I found too. Have I done the right thing?.. I think so tbh..shame. and for the record I'm not saying the seller knew or didn't know but It was a little confusing why It had only done 40 miles in his ownership. I looked past that and decided that I would restore mechanical bits service ect.

Nightmare JM!

At least you could get a refund. Imagine you were stuck with it. Lucky escape.
I can't believe it's still estimated at £15k-£20k. I thought it was an £8k car! The world has gone mad. :0

So what is your plan now then? I've always loved the 944/968 cabriolet. I'm not a cabriolet person usually but I love the low roof. It makes the car look even wider.
Having said that, due to the mad prices of 968s etc, whenever me and my mates are discussing them we always end up at one answer. Boxster. They drive nicer, sound way better, cost less and it's much easier to find a good one.
So if it was a cheaper 944 I'd have to choose a 986, if it was a £20k 968 I'd have to choose a 981 and if it was a £40k 968 CS I'd have to choose a 987 Spyder. (Budget creep required here and there maybe :wink: )

As I say I do love the transaxle cars, especially a turbo'd one or CGT replica like yours, but in today's bonkers market they don't make a lot of sense. As I touched on above, the main thing for me is the sound and a Boxster does that way better.

Onwards and upwards anyway. For now I'd buy a cheap Boxster and enjoy the rest of the summer. Find something special over next winter then sell the Boxster and lose nothing. :thumb:

Cheers Marky911,

So update! I continued to search everywhere for something, you know what It's like when you get your teeth into something. I stumbled across a beautiful looking 944 S2 on PH. It was a fair bit over my budget but after some negotiation with the owner I got It for still more than I paid for the 924 T but It's hopefully worth the extra ££, Even was featured in aGT Porsche magazine August 2015. I agree when you look at other options for the same money It does make you think but I really wanted to get a 'classic' and been wanting to scratch the 944 itch for quite a few years. I never found one that was any good unit now. I'm not a soft top guy I'd go as far a 'targa' :wink: however I would love to drive a boxter for the experience.

I'll update with pictures as soon as I've got a nice clean down on It. Picked it up yesterday from North London. Owner had It for 3 years. Its only 6 previous owners. REG 1992! so last off the line. Red Coupe S2 with beautiful Black Leather/cloth centre's. Its got the larger bolster seats, little to no wear on the seats or carpets, no cracks on dash everything works! has Bridge spoiler and all the updates being last off the line so very chuffed.

Its been garaged all Its life has a very comprehensive service history last visiting JAZ Porsche in Feb 21 for all belts rollers etc as well as service. just had all wheels refurbed and new Conti tyres.

I'm going to take it to the next level in terms of detailing the paint and the only modifications I will do is a nice Coilover set and a MOMO steering wheel (retaining all original stuff of course!)

It's a completely different feel to my 996's It's not as pointy nor does It feel as 'sporty' but I hope dialling it in a bit with suspension tweaks can make it more direct and not so soft with regards to body roll.

:thumb:

I was looking at replica CGT 924s before I bought my 944S, I found a white one that had a couple of genuine bits on it but the car didn't check out for me in the end, I am happy with my 944 as I do prefer NA cars, you will probably enjoy the S2 more anyway?.

Two more transaxles on the forum in recent times, reminds me do update my thread as lots has happened since my last.

Just read through the posts and glad you didn't get stung with the 924 turbo. I've had my 924 for 8 years now and they are great cars, easy to work on, built amazingly well relative to what was on the road at the time and not massively expensive to run especially of you're handy with spanners.

The GT kitted cars look great but can also hide a world of pain unless you can be 100% sure the work was done well. Personally if rather go for a straight and clean 924 turbo then get it sorted without the worries of fibre glass body work and hidden issues.

In terms of joining the 924 owners forum it depends what you want out of it. The cars have been round for 45 years now so the web is littered with info and guides so again if you're handy with spanners they're not the most complicated of cars to keep running (although some parts can be a pain to buy new).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back