Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

295 vs. 305 rear tyre

Loko

Trainee
Hi folks,

I don't need tyres yet but I've been doing some research to try and figure out what options are available come that time.

I'm interested in switching over to a 305 width rear tyre, not for looks or perceived extra grip but just because the number of tyre options is much bigger. I understand a little extra mechanical grip on the back will possibly introduce some understeer however this can be dialled out with a visit to Christ at CoG (luckily he's only 20mins away!). I'm also aware some manufacturer's 295 can be as wide as another's 305 due to difference's in construction, etc. So it's all relative.

Now my 997.2 C2S has the Carrera S II wheels fitted, so 11" width and ET67 offset. The difference in rolling diameter by upping tyre width is 6mm or a -0.9% speedo error, so within acceptable tolerances.

My main question is, would OPC have a whine about the car having 305's on 11" wheels (Porsche would have 11.5" rears on 305's per the C4/C4S)? I'll be putting on Porsche warranty in a couple of months and wanted to know if folks had any experience with this? I'm looking to keep the fitment to N rated tyres.

I know if you ordered a C2S from factory with the Carrera Sport wheels, these were 11.5" rears and came with 305's, so I think the main issue for the OPC might be a 305 on a 11" (despite it being just fine from a fitment standpoint.

My other option is to get a set of OEM gen 1 GT2/3 wheels which are 8.5" & 12" widths front and back respectively and fit 235/305 per those cars. Then I can use the current wheels as winter tyres/wheels and the new GT2 wheels as summer tyres with Sport Cup 2's.

Any experience on this front with the OPC from folks would be most useful thanks. I've had many sets of PS2's on my prior Porsche (and other cars) and whilst a good tyre I was keen to try Cup 2's or the Pirellii Corsa Direzionale/Assimetrico system on the 997, the latter has good reviews and comes with a full 8mm thread! There's just very little choice on a 295.

The 4S is an 11" rim wearing 305 so there is no issue and you dont need 11.5" rim. Up to each OPC really as to whether they pass ok or not. Not sure when it comes to N rated and more choice it makes all that difference to be honest, and rolling radius is only really an issue on 4WD cars.

I run 305's on 11" rims so as you say, fit is no issue. I would just ring your OPC to get their opinion on the warranty concern. I'm 99% sure they go under the arches with no issues too.

Interestingly, the rolling circumference is quite noticeable between the 305 rear and the 235 front which I though would be a concern for my 4S. But it's the stock tyre so must be ok...

Whytar said:
I run 305's on 11" rims so as you say, fit is no issue. I would just ring your OPC to get their opinion on the warranty concern. I'm 99% sure they go under the arches with no issues too.

Interestingly, the rolling circumference is quite noticeable between the 305 rear and the 235 front which I though would be a concern for my 4S. But it's the stock tyre so must be ok...

The front and rear diff ratios are different to take account of the different tyre sizes. Front axle is 3.33 and rear axle is 3.44.

I run 305 on the rear of my C2S, but did it in conjunction with a wheel change. I always wanted the Carrera Sports and found a used set. Selling my S II set will offset a bit of the cost.

Magic919 said:
I run 305 on the rear of my C2S, but did it in conjunction with a wheel change. I always wanted the Carrera Sports and found a used set. Selling my S II set will offset a bit of the cost.

The Carrera S II wheels have grown a little on me but I always loved the look of the Carrera Sport wheels.

I'm a big fan of the Gen1 GT3 wheels and may well get a set of second hand OEM ones from teile.com, they sit further out by about 10mm on the front and 11mm on the back, so will fill the arches (width wise) and do away with the need for spacers. Just need to double check the rear strut will clear, since it seems will sit 1/2" closer on the rear (front is ok), see below.

Front Fitment

Rear Fitment

Chris at ABP put some kind of GT3 wheels on his GTS, so migh be worth a look at what he did.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back