Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2008 cayenne 4.8T check engine issue

P0016 fault code basically means the position of the inlet camshaft is incorrect to the seen position of the crankshaft .. outside of limits for whatever reason and the car flags a code to tell you this .

Reasons .. well the logical ones ..

Cam sensor faulty ..

Wiring for Cam sensor faulty

Cam chain stretched ..

Cam in an incorrect position possibly due to the vario cam incorrectly adjusting ...

This is the problem one as i would assume the car would flag a fault code if it thinks this is at fault .. not going to discount it though as what you have described with the cold making a difference then this is certainly possible .

I still think it would flag a fault code for this which it hasn't but worth checking .

NA cars and i see a code listed .. P0017 which is exhaust cam out of position .. we don't have that in our market .. if there is a sensor such as this then that would rule out Cam deviations as you should have both fault codes .

I would still like the deviations checked though as the above bit is only something i have read and know nothing about .

Good shout to say you are NA though ... i don't think we get many of you guys here .. i believe it's renlist you tend to use ?

Kinda honoured if you have come here after perhaps asking there .

I've never had the pleasure of changing the solenoid on one of these but i would certainly expect the cam cover will need removing ... i see no way of replacing it otherwise :)

Check if its covered under warranty . if so then let them have the headache of diagnosing it :D

Code P0016 and check engine light on.

Hi,

It looks like your first hunch was correct, it was a worn (stretched) timing chain and the upper U shaped timing chain guide had a broken piece of plastic fall off into the oil pan. 176,000 km, full service history from Porsche dealer??? The last owner was a business woman.

Oil changes every 20,000 km or year which ever came first. I am sorry to tell you this Porsche but you are wrong in advising your purchaser's to drive 20,000 km between oil changes. Real world mechanics are advising between 7,500 to 10,000 oil and filter service or 1 year maximum which ever comes first.

The mechanic said it was just at the limit beyond the 12 degrees that the variocam could compensate for, thus why it was intermittent at first.

The work was approximately $5500 CAD. The warranty covered $3000.
The whole drive train was dropped down to do the work.

The timing and oil chain, guides, sprockets, bolts and all hardware were replaced.
Includes steering alignment, oil and filter change, and all fluids.

It ran good before but I notice the throttle response is much quicker now.

I just hope I don't have any more major issues.

Thank you for sharing your information and advice.

Its fixed if not cheap but to be fair .. it's a big job dropping the engine and replacing the Timing chain ... it should run better now.

Not yet seen the U shaped chain guide have problems but i will sooner or later i guess .

I always call these chains a skipping rope .. they are huge !

Attachments

• chain_1_180.jpg
    chain_1_180.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 9,080
I had exactly the same problem but no MIL - just a sluggish car in every condition but kick down.
Problem was a slipped friction disc between camshaft variator and camshaft itself. Therefore I opted for a timing realignment (NO PARTS CHANGED).
Values called camshaft deviation were B1 10-12deg, B2 3deg. Now B1 is 0.75, B2 1.5. Fault code P0016 haven't come back since!

Attachments

• october_14_2019_111818_pm_gmt0300_592.jpg
    october_14_2019_111818_pm_gmt0300_592.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 4,249
  • october_14_2019_112133_pm_gmt0300_01_187.jpeg
    october_14_2019_112133_pm_gmt0300_01_187.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 4,249
Interesting to see this update, I was having the same issue with mine this time last year, and even came across this thread, before coming to the same conclusion about the timing and doing it myself. Mine seemed to be pretty much exactly one tooth adrift. I think it had skipped a tooth as opposed to the friction disc slipping. The timing tool was £70 from ebay and it's not even a hard job. It's been fine ever since.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back