Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2003 GT3 - OPC or Indy for servicing?

mrboons

Hi,

My 996.2 GT3 is coming up for a minor service this year. It's done just under 42k and has a full OPC history except for one missed service when it was in storage.

I spoke with OPC today to get a quote for a minor and they've quoted £1100 or so for what is essentially an oil and filter change plus fluid check (ok not quite but I do this myself on my Caterham!!).

I was thinking about moving to an Indy - using someone who seems to be well respected like Nine Excellence or JZM. They seem to be considerably cheaper and I was planning on picking one and building a relationship re general maintenance (I think the only reason I would use OPC is for the stamp in the book).

Am I making a false economy here? From what I read the service is pretty hit and miss at OPC and whilst they can offer me a loan car which is convenient, it's not a deal breaker.

Appreciate there will be different views on this and ultimately up to me, but would welcome the experience of others.

Hi,
My 997.2 4s PDK is due its 12 year service. PDK, Diffs, Brake fluid and major service with plug change, i was ready for a big bill so shopped about and Bolton OPC came in cheaper than both indies i have used over the years by £700 on one and £300 on the other so is of in on Monday and carries on its full OPC service history.

Dean

This whole thing about Indy servicing being a big saving versus OPC is just marketing hype where the modern classics 996/997 models are concerned. I had a major with spark plugs and brake fluid change, and I also brought forward the 48k mile items at this service on 44k miles with a change of fuel filter and serpentine belt carried out last year by an OPC.

The OPC was the best price versus Cheshire and Lancashire indys. I put the comparisons into a spreadsheet along with their labour rates. In some instances, the price quoted divided by the labour rate showed too few hours of the work. I already know the book time for a major service with plugs and brake fluid change for a 996 turbo.

So versus the prices quoted and labour rates for some indys, they could not possibly carry out the work to the Porsche schedule. I also saved on train costs to leave the car with an indy and go back to collect it.

My post relates to servicing costs for modern classics, not ad hoc work where the work is time-based rather than fixed price.

I certainly do not automatically use OPC for servicing. Instead, I ring around and create a spreadsheet before deciding on who will service the car.

Last edited:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back