Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2000 996 turbo help please

Glad its under warranty! Where are you taking it if you are based near Cambridge?

Its probably worth seeing what else needs doing whilst engine is out - things like cross over pipes etc, maybe check the water pump is okay etc. Makes sense whilst its out.

If the engine is coming out I would be getting the coolant pipes welded.

MC

MisterCorn said:
If the engine is coming out I would be getting the coolant pipes welded.

MC

I have asked Cavendish to take a look at them im going to look at the car when the engine is out .

rabbitstew said:
Glad its under warranty! Where are you taking it if you are based near Cambridge?

Its probably worth seeing what else needs doing whilst engine is out - things like cross over pipes etc, maybe check the water pump is okay etc. Makes sense whilst its out.

Cavendish are going to advise on any issues but will go take a look when the engine is out

So guys after much looking into the engine noise they found that the intermediate shaft was coming loose from the drive gear off the crank !
its held on with bolts that had come loose we don't know why but when you looked into the crank gear you could see it had nearly come away from the shaft !! so that was the rattle from the engine .
The fix ........a complete engine strip down and total engine rebuild all wear items replaced .

should have the car back end of month then have to run it in !

D

A lad at work had that happen to him too, it is very rare, I've seen it mentioned a couple of times over the years and it did cross my mind when I posted earlier in this thread. But as it's so rare I didn't want to be negative.! I thought if I pointed you to vids of usual ims noise you'd be able to judge if yours was normal

Moral of the story is if the usual ims noise suddenly gets louder investigate!

Glad you had a good outcome as my friend ended up with a 5 figure bill and that was 10 years ago

Mac

Ps on the earlier air cooled engine the bolts had lock tabs on them, for some reason they were removed on the water cooled Mezger, and the Gt3 has a one piece shaft so doesn't suffer from this problem

Gravey said:
So guys after much looking into the engine noise they found that the intermediate shaft was coming loose from the drive gear off the crank !
its held on with bolts that had come loose we don't know why but when you looked into the crank gear you could see it had nearly come away from the shaft !! so that was the rattle from the engine .
The fix ........a complete engine strip down and total engine rebuild all wear items replaced .

should have the car back end of month then have to run it in !

D

While the engine is out this is a prime opportunity to do a lot of preventative maintenance at a much lower than normal cost - a lot of the parts are pretty cheap on their own, it's pulling the engine to fit them that racks up the bill!

I'd be looking at pinning/welding the coolant pipes and replacing all rubber belts and hoses at least.

New plugs and coils might not be a bad idea if they haven't been done in the past couple of years.

If you're considering upgrading the car, the injectors are a power limiting part that I imagine will be easier to swap with the engine out. You will need a remap if you increase their size, but you should get a noticeable increase in power without touching anything else.

Guys I went to see the engine and all the bolts were lose the guys said it was just about to lunch itself you could move the gear wheel back and forth im so glad it didn't let go ! just had a call to say its ready to pick up end of this week
boost pipes have been changed along with some brake pipes while the engine was out I asked about coolant pipe welding but they said it would be ok everything has been checked .The car had a tune on it before I had it so its about 500hp we will see if it any better once its run in

fingers crossed

Dave

so lucky to catch this and get it done on warranty, hopefully they won't have cut corners to save a few quid!
Good luck with it going forward,

bakerboy yes very lucky, Cavendish have done a documented engine build with pics and I've seen the list of parts used ,I even spent a bit of money over and above to make sure its the best I can get .
should be a strong engine .

Dave

Looking forward to hearing how you get on when you get the car back. Sounds like a decent return for you in the end. A turbo with a rebuilt engine with very little cost to you! Thanks a big WIN 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back