Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

.2 Turbo - stutter/stammer/shudder

Ben-911

Evening all.

Finally starting to get some miles on my gen 2 Turbo which I bought early summer for one reason or another.

Noticed Sunday night after about 150 miles on the motorway something I've not experienced before.

Sat in 7th - circa 70MPH, so zero boost and under 2k rpm. Give the throttle a little squeeze as the traffic clears and get noticeable stammer sensation as boost builds for a second and then once boost is kicking in, all is fine.

I could hear it and feel it through the car, it's not pronounced like a misfire and doesn't kangaroo about, but it's there. Just for a second. Tried other gears at the same RPM - couldn't replicate.

Was in Sport (car runs 14C cooler than in Normal) and certainly sounded more noticeable than in Normal mode.

Running Esso/Shell 99.

Apart from that, car goes like stink with no other engine related issues.

Cheers,

Ben

Quite a few things can cause this. Ours did this and I thought it was sticking turbo actuator rods. They ended up replacing turbo in the end.

Cheers thanks. One side has been done previously so may be the other.

Needs to go in for some other niggles so will request they look at the turbos first :thumb:

Maybe the throttle body is dirty? :dont know:

Hi Ben

I would take straight to dealer/garage- sounds like actuator seizing

Thanks chaps.

Hadn't appreciated these cars had an appetite for turbos too.

OPC East London probably the most convenient for me - any views on their capabilities welcome.

Cheers

Ben

After two unanswered calls to the switchboard and another 2 unanswered emails to the service manager, I'm not inclined to book in with East London, even if I could.

Anyone had recent positive experience with other London/M25-peripheral OPC's?

Best,

Ben

Ben-911 said:
After two unanswered calls to the switchboard and another 2 unanswered emails to the service manager, I'm not inclined to book in with East London, even if I could.

Best,

Ben

Sorry to hear the issues with your car Ben, hopefully not too onerous a fix needed. If not too far for you to travel, Tonbridge OPC have given me good service in the past.

wellsy said:
Ben-911 said:

Best,

Ben

Sorry to hear the issues with your car Ben, hopefully not too onerous a fix needed. If not too far for you to travel, Tonbridge OPC have given me good service in the past.

Brill, cheers.

Don't mind a bit of travelling to get the right level of service and equally importantly focus on diagnosing issues.

Car drives well, so nothing horrible I suspect.

Best,

Ben

Effectively the car needs a fault code read out from any garage with a Piwis .. after that we can move on .. im kinda expecting there won't be one which makes our lives a bit difficult .

In essence a code gives us somewhere to start at .. no code and something is failing but inside of the limits for checking that a code is not generated .

After this we have to look at engine values and probably on a r/t trying to reproduce the issue and then see a value that looks out of place .

100 values at least and you can start to see this sort of thing is difficult to pinpoint .

Ben-911 said:

Best,

Ben

Bit of a trek for you if East London are close to you. However, I've heard really good things about the OPC in Brooklands (Surrey). They are privately owned official Porsche Service Centre, so makes a change from the Porsche Retail Group dealers. They don't sell new cars but do have some Approved Used.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back