Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE Silencer question

M12NTE

Hi all

I've got the PSE system on my C4S. I removed the box because it had a rattle, which turned out to be a broken actuator arm causing the flap inside the pipe the rattle.

The silencer to cat pipe was also fractured.

I've sourced a non 'PSE' standard silencer from another C4S to use as a donor box as I need the pipe to the cat and the brackets.

The new silencer is in far better condition overall. The question is, can the pipework including valved section from the PSE box be transferred on to the standard silencer, after opening the top port??

Yes, they are both the same basic muffler, just with the corner nipple bypass and vacuum actuator gubbins added.

Cut out the corner nipple cap, bridge to the exit pipe (witch suitable hole cut) using the original PSE bypass.

Refit.

Background info here:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=66202

GT4 said:
Yes, they are both the same basic muffler, just with the corner nipple bypass and vacuum actuator gubbins added.

Cut out the corner nipple cap, bridge to the exit pipe (witch suitable hole cut) using the original PSE bypass.

Refit.

Background info here:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=66202

Hi GT4

Thanks very much for the reply. Appreciated.

That's great, just wasn't sure whether the internals of a PSE silencer were 'funky' in some way. But if they're the same then all good.

Are there any visual differences between a 3.4 and 3.6 silencer?

No, which is a right pain, as the 3.6s work fine on 3.4s (and obviously 3.6s!), but not the other way round.

A 3.4 muffler will slightly strangle a 3.6 (the internals are different).

If they aren't new, finding a part number may be difficult too.

That's a *****. The guy said it was from his C4S, so I guess you have to take that as gospel. It might see if I can find a part number anywhere on it.

It's not the sort if thing you could mistake (which car it came off), but obviously there is a small motivation to sell a 3.4 as a 3.6 as it is more universal.

A used 3.4 muffler will likely be a LOT crustier than a 3.6 now.

Likely you have a 3.6 there.

As GT4 says I fitted 3.6 c4s muffler to my 3.4 (just swapped the tail pipe), but I think my original mufflers were the original '99 PSE (non switchable) as they have a "gundo" pipe but the quality of the welds and looks of the pipe seems to me to have been there forever. Maybe I will gundo my new boxes sometime.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back